Table of contents
- Big Pharma has a big growth market in the US – Vaccines
- Over $4 Billion paid out in US vaccine compensations as of June 2018
- GSK vaccine in Europe: sued?
- There have been
2163 visits to this page
Big Pharma has a big growth market in the US – Vaccines
It costs Big Pharma billions of dollars to develop a drug and they can be sued if it harms
Product Development time Risk of being sued Drug Many years of testing High risk Vaccine Short test time Indemnified in US since 1986
Note: many drug companies are trying to extend the indemnfication to cover fast-tracked vaccines as well (for Ebola - fall 2014)
- Mercola Nov 2014
- Why Vaccine Choice? from web Nov 2014
It should not be overlooked that vaccines have become the most lucrative segment of the giant pharma industry.
Vaccines are made and marketed by the very same companies that make pills and spend over $50 billion on product promotion.
The difference is that with vaccines, doctors and drug makers have been indemnified by the US government for all product liability.
- Off Topic:Largest employeer in most states is Health Care has the following
From 1998 to 2013, Big Pharma spent nearly $2.7 billion on lobbying expenses
42 % more than the second highest paying industry: insurance.
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Wikipedia
- Vaccine Injury Compensation Programs
Over $4 Billion paid out in US vaccine compensations as of June 2018
Zero Tolerance Vaccine Laws in America: Will You Defend Vaccine Freedom? GreenMedInfo
- "Recent surveys reveal that 20 percent of Americans think vaccines may be unsafe and 45 percent are not sure."
- :There has been almost a 10 percent decline in public confidence in vaccine safety over the past decade:
- "There are only two laws that require American citizens to risk their lives."
- Miltary Draft
- state law requiring all healthy children to risk their lives in a war that doctors declared on microbes two centuries ago
- "..Congress gave doctors a broad liability shield in 1987 similar to the one they gave to vaccine manufacturers in 1986 to protect them from most vaccine injury lawsuits"
US govt has so far paid out $4 billion - but manufactures and doctors have paid out $0
GSK vaccine in Europe: sued?
GSK introduced a new anti-flu vaccine, Pandemrix, in 2009. It was rushed through in anticipation of a pandemic of swine flu (it did not happen). It received an EU licence, but in the USA. Six million Europeans received the vaccine. In 2010 in Sweden and Finland it was suspected of causing narcolepsy. In 2014 it had to be withdrawn as it was held to be responsible for a small but significant epidemic of narcolepsy (6.8 per 100,000). Narcolepsy occurred within two months of receiving the vaccine, and occured mainly in teenagers.
Wikipedia has a lot of information on the topic
There have been
2163 visits to this pageDevelop a vaccine instead of a drug, less costly and no chance of being sued - Nov 2014 200 visitors, last modified 16 Oct, 2022,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- There have been