Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2016 Apr 7. pii: S1877-0657(16)00039-7. doi: 10.1016/j.rehab.2016.01.012. [Epub ahead of print]
Ucay O1, Pouche M1, Guiraud T2, Besnier F2, Pathak A3, Labrunee M4.
free fuzzy image on the web
Good description of study at Vitamin D Council
Pmax: stationary bike start at 20 W resistance and increase 10 W every minute until max.
Vitamin D deficiency is a frequent pathology associated with cardiovascular diseases and physical performance.
To study the link between 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) level and physical performance and gain in physical performance after cardiovascular rehabilitation (CVR) with vitamin D deficiency.
25OHD level was assessed in a retrospective cohort of patients admitted for CVR. Data were collected on physical fitness [6-min walk test distance (6MWD) in percentage of predicted, maximal power (Pmax)]. The threshold of vitamin D deficiency was 20ng/ml chosen according to the literature.
Among the 131 patients included, as compared with those with nondeficiency (n=83; 63%), patients with vitamin D deficiency (n=48, 37%) had lower initial 6MWD (82±18 vs 89±12% predicted, P=0.009) and Pmax (100±58 vs 120±39W, P=0.006). After CVR, this difference was maintained. The improvement in 6MWD and Pmax was significantly lower with deficiency than nondeficiency, for an increase of 11±8% versus 14±9% predicted (P=0.048) and 10±30 versus 32±30W (P=0.00001), respectively.
Vitamin D deficiency may be associated with impaired physical fitness before CVR and a smaller gain in physical fitness with CVR, probably related to the action of vitamin D on the muscle.
- Heart problems are reduced with vitamin D – Heart month Feb 2016
- Major heart problems avoided if have high vitamin D – 234,000 people Nov 2015
- Risk of Cardiac failure reduced 20 percent by even a small amount of vitamin D – meta-analysis July 2014
- Vitamin D protects against many types of health problems – review May 2013
- Almost 6X more likely to die after coronary bypass if vitamin D deficient – Dec 2012
- C-reactive protein (heart disease marker) reduced by vitamin D – meta-analysis 2014, 2019
- Overview Cardiovascular and vitamin D
- Hypertension and vitamin D
- Overview Metabolic Syndrome and vitamin D
- Overview Stroke and vitamin D
- Heart Attack 647 items as of May 2018
- Arrhythmia OR “atrial fibrillation” 497 items as of May 2018
- (Arrhythmia OR “atrial fibrillation”) AND Magnesium 345 items as of May 2018
- "C-Reactive Protein" 1530 items as of June 2019
- TRIGLYCERIDES 863 items as of May 2018
- "Peripheral Artery Disease" 170 items as of July 2019
- "Sudden Cardiac Arrest" 98 items as of May 2018
- Search VitaminDWiki for CHF or "HEART FAILURE" 1220 items as of Aug 2017
- Search VitaminDWiki for Atherosclerosis 1510 items as of July 2019
- Cholesterol is needed to produce both Vitamin D and Cortisol
- Overview Cholesterol and vitamin D
- Statins and vitamin D statins often reduce levels of vitamin D