Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2016 Apr 7. pii: S1877-0657(16)00039-7. doi: 10.1016/j.rehab.2016.01.012. [Epub ahead of print]
Ucay O1, Pouche M1, Guiraud T2, Besnier F2, Pathak A3, Labrunee M4.
free fuzzy image on the web
Good description of study at Vitamin D Council
Pmax: stationary bike start at 20 W resistance and increase 10 W every minute until max.
Vitamin D deficiency is a frequent pathology associated with cardiovascular diseases and physical performance.
To study the link between 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) level and physical performance and gain in physical performance after cardiovascular rehabilitation (CVR) with vitamin D deficiency.
25OHD level was assessed in a retrospective cohort of patients admitted for CVR. Data were collected on physical fitness [6-min walk test distance (6MWD) in percentage of predicted, maximal power (Pmax)]. The threshold of vitamin D deficiency was 20ng/ml chosen according to the literature.
Among the 131 patients included, as compared with those with nondeficiency (n=83; 63%), patients with vitamin D deficiency (n=48, 37%) had lower initial 6MWD (82±18 vs 89±12% predicted, P=0.009) and Pmax (100±58 vs 120±39W, P=0.006). After CVR, this difference was maintained. The improvement in 6MWD and Pmax was significantly lower with deficiency than nondeficiency, for an increase of 11±8% versus 14±9% predicted (P=0.048) and 10±30 versus 32±30W (P=0.00001), respectively.
Vitamin D deficiency may be associated with impaired physical fitness before CVR and a smaller gain in physical fitness with CVR, probably related to the action of vitamin D on the muscle.
- Heart problems are reduced with vitamin D – Heart month Feb 2016
- Major heart problems avoided if have high vitamin D – 234,000 people Nov 2015
- Risk of Cardiac failure reduced 20 percent by 800 IU of vitamin D and Calcium – meta-analysis July 2014
- Vitamin D protects against many types of health problems – review May 2013
- Almost 6X more likely to die after coronary bypass if vitamin D deficient – Dec 2012
- C-reactive protein (heart disease marker) reduced by vitamin D – meta-analysis 2014, 2019
Cardiovascular category is associated with other categories: Diabetes 31, Omega-3 31 , Vitamin K 25 , Intervention 22 . Mortality 20 , Skin - Dark 18 , Magnesium 17 , Calcium 14 , Hypertension 14 , Trauma and surgery 13 , Stroke 13 , Kidney 12 , Metabolic Syndrome 11 , Seniors 10 , Pregnancy 8 as of Aug 2022
- Overview Cardiovascular and vitamin D
- Cardiovascular Disease is treated by Vitamin D - review Oct 2021
- Arterial Stiffness and Vitamins – only Vitamin D was found to help – meta-analysis Feb 2022
- Those raising Vitamin D above 30 ng were 1.4 X less likely to die of Heart Attack (VA 19 years) – Oct 2021
- Giving free vitamin D to every Iranian would pay for itself by just reducing CVD – Oct 2021
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest – 2.8 X higher risk if low vitamin D – 2019
- Cardiovascular death 1.5X more likely if less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – 22nd meta-analysis Nov 2019
- Peripheral arterial disease risk is 1.5X higher if low vitamin D – meta-analysis March 2018
- Heart attack ICU costs cut in half by Vitamin D – Oct 2018
- Cholesterol is needed to produce both Vitamin D and Cortisol
- Overview Cholesterol and vitamin D
- Statins and vitamin D statins often reduce levels of vitamin D
- Statin side-effects are reduced by Vitamin D – US patent Application – April 2019
|3222 visitors, last modified 26 Apr, 2016,