High-Dose Intramuscular Vitamin D Provides Long-Lasting Moderate Increases in Serum 25-Hydroxvitamin D Levels and Shorter-Term Changes in Plasma Calcium.
J AOAC Int. 2017 May 11. doi: 10.5740/jaoacint.17-0087. [Epub ahead of print]
Gorman S1, Zafir M2, Lim EM3, Clarke MW4, Dhamrait G1, Fleury N1, Walsh JP5, Kaufmann M6, Jones G6, Lucas RM7.
- 1 The University of Western Australia, Telethon Kids Institute, Perth, Western Australia.
- 2 The Surgery (General Medical Services), Albany, Western Australia.
- 3 Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, PathWest Laboratory Medicine, Perth, Western Australia; The University of Western Australia, School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Perth, Western Australia.
- 4 The University of Western Australia, Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis, Biological and Molecular Mass Spectrometry Facility, Perth, Western Australia.
- 5 Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Endocrinology and Diabetes, Perth, Western Australia; The University of Western Australia, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Perth, Western Australia.
- 6 Queen's University, Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Kingston, ON, Canada K7L3N6.
- 7 Australian National University, Research School of Population Health, National Centre for Epidemiology and Public Health, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory.
The best management of vitamin D deficiency, defined as a 25-hydroxyvitamin D [(25(OH)D] level <50 nM, is unclear. Intramuscular (IM) injection of a large bolus of vitamin D ("65;100 000 IU) is used, but its safety is uncertain. In 10 adults given an IM injection of 600 000IU vitamin D₃, we measured at baseline and at 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks postinjection the serum levels of vitamin D₃, 25(OH)D₃, 25(OH)D₂, total 25(OH)D, 3-epi-25(OH)D₃, and 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D₃ [24,25(OH)₂D₃] using a standardized LC with tandem MS (MS/MS) assay; serum levels of 25(OH)D using the Abbott ARCHITECT i2000 immunoassay; and markers of bone metabolism. Bone markers and 25(OH)D (immunoassay) were remeasured at 24 weeks. All participants had baseline total 25(OH)D levels >50 nM. Serum 25(OH)D levels increased at 3, 4, and 24 weeks postinjection, peaking at 4 week.
PMID: 28492140 DOI: 10.5740/jaoacint.17-0087