CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets May 2023 doi: 10.2174/1871527322666230526164421 $95 paywall
Domenico Plantone 1, Matteo Pardini 2 3, Stefano Caneva 2, Nicola De Stefano 1
Alzheimer's disease (AD) represents the most prevalent type of neurodegenerative dementia and the sixth leading cause of death worldwide. The so-called "non-calcemic actions" of vitamin D have been increasingly described, and its insufficiency has already been linked to the onset and progression of the main neurological diseases, including AD.
- Immune-mediated Aβ plaque's phagocytosis and clearance,
- immune response,
- oxidative stress, and
- mitochondrial function
are all influenced by vitamin D, and these functions are considered relevant in AD pathogenesis.
However, it has been shown that the genomic vitamin D signaling pathway is already impaired in the AD brain, making things more complicated. In this paper, we aim to summarise the role of vitamin D in AD and review the results of the supplementation trials in AD patients.
VitaminDwiki – Overview Alzheimer's-Cognition and Vitamin D contains
- FACT: Cognitive decline is 19X more likely if low vitamin D
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D levels.
- FACT: Alzheimer’s Dementia 2.3X more likely in elderly if low vitamin D – Dec 2022
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies
- FACT: Alzheimer's Disease is 4X less likely if high vitamin D
- FACT: Every single risk factor listed for Alzheimer's Disease is also a risk factor for low vitamin D levels
- FACT: Elderly cognition gets worse as the elderly vitamin D levels get even lower (while in senior homes)
- OBSERVATION: Reports of increased vitamin D levels result in improved cognition
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s patients 3X more likely to have a malfunctioning vitamin D receptor gene – 2012
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer's Disease has been seen to halt when vitamin D was added.
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s is associated with all 7 of the genes which restrict vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 39 vitamin D and Alz. or Cognition intervention trials as of Sept 2018
- OBSERVATION: 2 Meta-analysis in 2012 agreed that Alzheimer's Disease. associated with low vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 50X increase in Alzheimer's while decrease in vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Vitamin D reduces Alzheimer’s disease in 11 ways
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s cognition improved by 4,000 IU of vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Plaque removed in mice by equiv. of 14,000 IU daily
- OBSERVATION: DDT (which decreases Vit D) increases risk of Alzheimer's by up to 3.8X
- OBSERVATION: 2% of people have 2 copies of the poor gene reference: Alz Org
- OBSERVATION: Genes do not change rapidly enough to account for the huge increase in incidence
- FACT: Vitamin D is extremely low cost and has very very few side effects
- CONCLUSION: Everyone concerned about cognitive decline or Alzheimer's Disease should take vitamin D
- PREDICTION: By 2024 Omega-3 and high dose Vitamin D will be found to reverse Alzheimer's in humans
- As of 2018 that combination has worked well with Multiple Sclerosis, Sleep, and Cluster Headaches
There are 12+ Alzheimer’s meta-analyses in VitaminDWiki
There are 95+ Alzheimer’s studies in VitaminDWiki
- End of Alzheimer's video and transcript - June 2023
Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies 50+
16+ studies in both categories Cognitive and Omega-3
The End of Alzheimer's and Dementia if adjust Vitamin D, B-12, Iron, Omega-3, etc.
Customizing the types of treatment to the individual results in reversing Alzheimer's