Asthmatic Patients with Vitamin D Deficiency have Decreased Exacerbations after Vitamin Replacement.
Nutrients. 2017 Nov 11;9(11). pii: E1234. doi: 10.3390/nu9111234.
Solidoro P1, Bellocchia M2, Aredano I3, Mattei A4, Pivetta E5, Patrucco F6, Boita M7, de Blasio F8, Brussino L9, Rolla G10, Bucca C11,12.
For those asthmatics who had < 20 ng initially
Loading dose injection of 100,000 IU of vitamin D
Weekly 5,000 IU of vitamin D
Daily 400 IU of vitamin D & 1500 mg of Calcium
They would have had even more benefit if they had used high doses
- Initially 400,000 IU
- Weekly 50, 000 IU
Suspect that the injection form of the loading dosde and the daily Calcium were not needed
- Overview Asthma and Vitamin D
- Asthma treated by daily 50,000 IU of Vitamin D – April 2018
- Vitamin D supplements could halve risk of serious asthma attacks – Cochrane conclusion – Sept 2016
- Asthma reduced 60 percent with vitamin D supplementation – meta-analysis 2014, 2015
- Number of items which are in both Breathing and Intervention: =
Breathing category starts with the following
376 items in Breathing category
- Search VitaminDWiki for Pneumonia 1,360 items as of July 2019
- Search VitaminDWiki for phrase "COMMUNITY PNEUMONIA" 99 items - Jan 2020
- Search VitaminDWiki for BRONCHITIS 272 items as of July 2019
- Search VitaminDWiki for ASTHMA in title 142 items - Nov 2019
- COPD Overview
- Search VitaminDWiki for Wheeze 1480 items as of July 2020
- Cystic Fibrosis category listing has
41 items along with related searches
- Air Pollution reduces Vitamin D
- Note: Air Pollution reduces UVB and keeps people indoors, both reduce Vitamin D
- Smoking reduces vitamin D
Supplementing with Vitamin D will improve the health of smokers and might decease craving
- Overviews at VitaminDWiki: Allergy Lung Cancer TB Asthma Influenza Colds and flu Pneumonia Respiratory infections
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Improved in every measure - if complied
FEV1 (% of total air exhaled in 1 second)
BACKGROUND: Intervention studies with vitamin D in asthma are inconclusive for several reasons, such as inadequate dosing or duration of supplementation or uncontrolled baseline vitamin D status. Our aim was to evaluate the benefit of long term vitamin D add-on in asthmatic patients with actual vitamin D deficiency, that is a serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25-OHD ) below 20 ng/mL.
METHODS: Serum 25-OHD, asthma exacerbations, spirometry and inhaled corticosteroids (CS) dose were evaluated in a cohort of 119 asthmatic patients. Patients with deficiency were evaluated again after one year vitamin supplementation.
RESULTS: 25-OHD was low in 111 patients and was negatively related to exacerbations (p < 0.001), inhaled CS dose (p = 0.008) and asthma severity (p = 0.001). Deficiency was found in 90 patients, 55 of whom took the supplement regularly for one year, while 24 discontinued the study and 11 were not adherent. Patients with vitamin D deficiency after 12 months supplementation showed significant decrease of exacerbations (from 2.6 ± 1.2 to 1.6 ± 1.1, p < 0.001), circulating eosinophils (from 395 ± 330 to 272 ± 212 10⁶/L, p < 0.001), and need of oral CS courses (from 35 to 20, p = 0.007) and improvement of airway obstruction.
CONCLUSIONS: Asthma exacerbations are favored by vitamin D deficiency and decrease after long-term vitamin D replacement. Patients who are vitamin D deficient benefit from vitamin D supplementation.All asthma problems reduced after 1 year of Vitamin D – Nov 2017
1245 visitors, last modified 10 Jul, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Breathing 376 Intervention 632 Intervention - non daily 186
- Air Pollution reduces Vitamin D