Vitamin D Supplementation As a Potential therapeutic Mediator in Asthma: Does Dose Really Matter? a Critical Review of the Literature.
Aging Male. 2018 Sep 29:1-8. doi: 10.1080/13685538.2018.1506433.
Canguven O1, El Ansari W2, Yassin A3.
1 Hamad General Hospital , Doha , Qatar.
2 Department of Surgery , Hamad General Hospital , Doha , Qatar.
3 Department of Urology , Hamad General Hospital , Doha , Qatar.
- Overview Asthma and Vitamin D
- All asthma problems reduced after 1 year of Vitamin D – Nov 2017
- Asthma reduced 60 percent with vitamin D supplementation – meta-analysis 2014, 2015
- Risk of infant Asthma cut in half if mother supplemented Vitamin D to get more than 30 ng – RCT Oct 2017
- Childhood asthma problems eliminated for months by 600,000 IU of Vitamin D injection – June 2017
- Asthma treated by daily 50,000 IU of Vitamin D – April 2018
- High dose works well- Do not have to wait a fraction of a year for maintance dose to achieve a level > 40 ng
- Reduction of infant asthma may require good vitamin D when lung development starts (4 weeks) – March 2017
Breathing category starts with the following
- Search VitaminDWiki for Pneumonia 1,360 items as of July 2019
- Search VitaminDWiki for phrase "COMMUNITY PNEUMONIA" 99 items - Jan 2020
- Search VitaminDWiki for BRONCHITIS 272 items as of July 2019
- Search VitaminDWiki for (asthma OR asthmatic) in title 574 items - March 2021
- COPD Overview
- Search VitaminDWiki for Wheeze 1480 items as of July 2020
- Cystic Fibrosis category listing has
42 items along with related searches
- Air Pollution reduces Vitamin D
- Note: Air Pollution reduces UVB and keeps people indoors, both reduce Vitamin D
- Smoking reduces vitamin D
Supplementing with Vitamin D will improve the health of smokers and might decease craving
- Overviews at VitaminDWiki:
Allergy Lung Cancer TB Asthma Influenza Colds and flu Pneumonia Respiratory infections
Around 400 million people across the globe will suffer from asthma in the next 10 years. Although most asthmatics use asthma medications regularly, they occasionally visit the emergency department for aggressive treatment amidst family anxiousness. Vitamin D (VD) not only regulates the expression of genes associated with calcium homeostasis, but also the genes associated with cancers, autoimmune diseases, and infection. VD has also non-genomic activities e.g. it is a potentially safe and effective novel strategy for decreasing the asthma episodes and controlling exacerbations. Our review assessed the dose, serum level, duration of administration and outcomes of VD in cases of asthmas. Although a body of research evidences the effectiveness of VD supplementation in asthma, other studies showed the insignificant response of VD to asthma either with low dose or low achieved serum VD levels. Nevertheless, recent reviews suggest that manipulating VD status holds promise for primary prevention and treatment of asthma.
Future research on the relationship between VD and asthma should consider utilizing adequate doses of VD preparations for sufficient duration (likely to be >12 months) aiming to achieve appropriate level of serum VD (25-hydroxyvitamin D) concentration (likely to be at least >40 ng/mL).Asthma may be treated by Vitamin D if more than 40 ng for 12 months – Sept 2018
1676 visitors, last modified 03 Nov, 2018,
- Air Pollution reduces Vitamin D