Anti-osteoporosis Medication Use in a High Fracture-Risk Population: Contemporary Trends in Australian Residential Aged Care Facilities.
Health Serv Insights. 2019 Jun 2;12:1178632919852111. doi: 10.1177/1178632919852111. eCollection 2019.
20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: Bones need Calcium (this has been known for a very long time)
- FACT: Vitamin D improves Calcium bioavailability (3X ?)
- FACT: Should not take > 750 mg of Calcium if taking lots of vitamin D (Calcium becomes too bio-available)
- FACT: Adding vitamin D via Sun, UV, or supplements increased vitamin D in the blood
- FACT: Vitamin D supplements are very low cost
- FACT: Many trials, studies. reviews, and meta-analysis agree: adding vitamin D reduces osteoporosis
- FACT: Toxic level of vitamin D is about 4X higher than the amount needed to reduce osteoporosis
- FACT: Co-factors help build bones.
- FACT: Vitamin D Receptor can restrict Vitamin D from getting to many tissues, such as bones
- It appears that to TREAT Osteoporosis:
- Calcium OR vitamin D is ok
- Calcium + vitamin D is good
- Calcium + vitamin D + other co-factors is great
- Low-cost Vitamin D Receptor activators sometimes may be helpful
- CONCLUSION: To PREVENT many diseases, including Osteoporosis, as well as TREAT Osteoporosis
- Category Osteoporosis has
- Category Bone Health has
Note: Osteoporosis causes bones to become fragile and prone to fracture
Osteoarthritis is a disease where damage occurs to the joints at the end of the bones
Osteoporosis category includes the following
205 items in category - see also Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D
- Overview Fractures and vitamin D
- Bone - Health
- VitaminDWiki pages with BONE MINERAL DENSITY or BMD in title 25 pages as of Feb 2023
- Search VitaminDWiki for OSTEOPENIA 1740 items as of July 2020
12 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Vitamin D Receptor categories 8 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Meta-analysis categories
- 20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
> 60% for Vitamin D
< 40% for other medications
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Lind KE1, Jorgensen ML1, Gray LC2, Georgiou A1, Westbrook JI1.
- 1 Centre for Health Systems and Safety Research, Australian Institute of Health Innovation, Macquarie University, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- 2 Centre for Health Services Research, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Woolloongabba, QLD, Australia.
Osteoporotic fractures impose substantial morbidity and mortality among older adults. Undertreatment is an ongoing concern; treatment rates declined following reports of adverse effects of guideline-recommended bisphosphonates, but new antiresorptives have since become available. Our goal was to identify contemporary trends in osteoporosis treatment guideline adherence in a high fracture-risk population.
We conducted a secondary data analysis using electronic health record data of adults aged ⩾65 years from 68 residential aged care facilities in Australia during 2014-2017 (n = 9094). Using medication administration data, we identified antiresorptive (bisphosphonates and denosumab) and vitamin D supplement use among residents with osteoporosis. Regression was used to evaluate temporal trends, and resident and facility characteristics associated with antiresorptive use and vitamin D use. In 2014, 34% of women and 42% of men with osteoporosis used antiresorptives; this decreased 8 percentage points by 2017. Antiresorptive use was higher among those with a history of fracture and lower in the last year of life. Denosumab use increased but did not substitute for the continued decline in bisphosphonate use.
Vitamin D was consistently used by more than 60% of residents and was higher among those with fracture history. Greater attention to the treatment of osteoporosis treatment rates among this high fracture-risk population is warranted.Vitamin D is the most used anti-osteoporosis medication in senior homes in Australia – June 2019
2197 visitors, last modified 19 Jun, 2019,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- Category Bone Health has