clipped from Experience Life Dec 2011
Fast forward to the 1980s.
That’s when doctors in India treated six tuberculosis patients with 3,800 international units (IU) of vitamin D daily for three months.
The patients developed dangerously high blood levels of calcium.
The doctors blaimed the vitamin D, but they never measured the patients’ blood levels of the vitamin, or acknowledged that super-high calcium levels could be common in people with tuberculosis.
That study added to the stigma, and five years later, based on the available evidence, the U.S. government warned that as little as 1,000 IU of vitamin D daily could be toxic.
- Vitamin D history back to Egyptians and fortification - Aug 2011
- More sunshine: more teeth (1862), fewer cavities (1934) – Oct 2011
- 1000 IU of vitamin D (per kg) can indeed be toxic – 1947 a different story, same result
- All items in category Toxic and Vitamin D
Note: 1000 IU per kg IS NOT toxic if you drink a lot of water, minimize Calcum, and take the cofactorsVitamin D stigma in the 1980's established toxic level as 1000 IU
5092 visitors, last modified 13 Dec, 2016,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)