Exp Eye Res. 2015 May;134:101-10. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2015.02.019. Epub 2015 Feb 25.
Reins RY1, McDermott AM2.
Vision category starts with the following
- Eye vitamin D may not be associated with blood VitD, but is associated with CYP27B1 and CYP24A1 – Nov 2019
- Vitamin D treats and prevents a variety of eye problems (need 70 ng) – June 2018
- Vitamin D and Myopia, AMD, Diabetic Retinopathy, Uveitis, Glaucoma, VDR etc. – May 2015
- Myopia may be related to low vitamin D
- Tears often have 25 % higher levels of vitamin D than does blood
- Cataracts prevented and perhaps treated by Vitamin D - 2015
- All people with Cataracts had low vitamin D levels – April 2019
- Vitamin D and Age-Related Macular Degeneration (and 2 AMD meta-analyses) – Oct 2017
- Vitamin D is the best vitamin to fight glaucoma – May 2018
- Association Between Myopia, Ultraviolet B Radiation Exposure, Serum Vitamin D Concentrations, and Genetic Polymorphisms in Vitamin D Metabolic Pathways in a Multicountry European Study
- Jan 2017 doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2016.4752 FREE PDF
- Associations between Serum Vitamin D and Genetic Variants in Vitamin D Pathways and Age-Related Macular Degeneration in the European Eye Study
- Jan 2017 doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2016.09.007 FREE PDF
- Correlation between tear fluid and serum vitamin D levels
- Sept 2016 doi:10.1186/s40662-016-0053-7 FREE PDF
- 1 The Ocular Surface Institute, University of Houston College of Optometry, 4901 Calhoun Road, Houston, TX 77204-2020, USA. rose at reins.org.
- 2 The Ocular Surface Institute, University of Houston College of Optometry, 4901 Calhoun Road, Houston, TX 77204-2020, USA. AMcdermott at OPTOMETRY.UH.EDU.
Vitamin D is a multifunctional hormone that is now known to play a significant role in a variety of biological functions in addition to its traditional role in regulating calcium homeostasis. There are a large number of studies demonstrating that adequate vitamin D levels are important in maintaining health and show that vitamin D is able to be utilized at local tissue sites. In the eye, we have increasing evidence of the association between disease and vitamin D. In this narrative review, we summarize recent findings on vitamin D and its relationship to various ocular pathologies and the therapeutic potential for some of these, as well as examine the basic science studies that demonstrate that vitamin D is biologically relevant in the eye.
|508 visitors, last modified 19 Nov, 2019,