Rev Bras Enferm. 2018;71(suppl 6):2792-2799. doi: 10.1590/0034-7167-2018-0640.
[Article in English, Portuguese]
Silva ECD1, Taminato M1, Fonseca CDD1, Moraes GM1, Longo MCB1, Grothe CE1, Belasco AGS1, Barbosa DA1. ~ha~ dulce.barbosa at unifesp.br
Study amazingly does not state the size of loading nor maintenance doses
Unsure the time period for infection statistics – 0-6 months, 3-6 months? 5-6 months?
Did all chronic kidney patients get maintenance dose?
Kidney category starts withKidney category listing has
see also Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Peritoneal dialysis in titles in VitaminDWiki (3 titles as of Oct 2021)
CKD or CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE in title of 65 pages as of Dec 2022
- Kidney Inflammation not reduced by 30 ng Vitamin D (many health problems need 50 ng) – Nov 2022
- Chronic Kidney Disease decreases Vitamin D in 4 ways – Nov 2017
- Half as much chronic kidney disease infection if supplement with Vitamin D – 2018
- 2.4 times more likely to die if have Chronic Kidney Disease and low vitamin D - Sept 2016
- 4X more Chronic Kidney disease patients are now using vitamin D – March 2014
- Poor kidneys rarely get enough or the right form of vitamin D – Feb 2019
Overview Kidney and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: The Kidneys are not the primary way to activate vitamin D; the tissues are
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is less active vitamin D (Calcitriol) for the body
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is increased death due to many factors - many of which are associated with lack of Calcitriol
- FACT: There are many ongoing intervention clinical trials trying to determine how much of what kind of vitamin D is needed to treat the problem
- FACT: One Randomized Controlled Trial has proven that Vitamin D treats CKD
- FACT: 38% of seniors have Chronic Kidney Disease and most are unaware of it CDC statistics 2020
- FACT: Taking extra Vitamin D, in various forms, does not cause health problems - even if poor kidney
- Suggestion: Increase vitamin D getting into body now - and increase co-factors so that the vitamin D can be better used
Sun, UV lamp, Vitamin D supplement - probably > 5,000 IU,
Nanoemulstion vitamin D (inside cheek, topically) gets activated Vitamin D to the cells without the need for healthy kidney, liver, or intestine
Calcitriol - which bypasses the need for the kidney to activate vitamin D
Problems with Calcitriol however: typically only lasts for a few hours, also, possible complications
Update: Pre-cursor of active vitamin D made from plants is better than calcitriol – Sept 2012
- Category Kidney and Vitamin D contains
219 items Supplement Infection Vitamin D 16 % No D 32 % Blood level Loading Dose Maint. Dose <20 ng/mL 3 months 3 months? 20–19 ng/mL 3 month; 3 months? >30 ng/mL no maintenance dose
3 month or 6 month?
To evaluate the effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation as protection factor against infection of patients with chronic kidney disease on conservative treatment.
Retrospective cohort study carried out between 2013 and 2016 in the Conservative Treatment Outpatient Clinics (Ambulatório de Tratamento Conservador) of the Hypertension and Kidney Hospital (Hospital do Rim e Hipertensão) of the Universidade Federal de São Paulo. Data on sociodemographic factors, comorbidity, infection episodes and use or nonuse of vitamin D supplementation for at least 6 months were collected from medical records. The primary outcomes considered in both groups were: presence or absence of infection anywhere on the body (bloodstream, urinary, respiratory and surgical sites).
A total of 263 patients were included and those who received (n=43) vitamin D had 59% less chance of developing infections (OR=0.41; 95%CI; 0.15-0.99), when compared to those who did not receive.
CONCLUSION: Vitamin D supplementation was a protective factor against infections of all causes.Half as much chronic kidney disease infection if supplement with Vitamin D – 2018
1926 visitors, last modified 15 Mar, 2019,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)