Rev Bras Enferm. 2018;71(suppl 6):2792-2799. doi: 10.1590/0034-7167-2018-0640.
[Article in English, Portuguese]
Silva ECD1, Taminato M1, Fonseca CDD1, Moraes GM1, Longo MCB1, Grothe CE1, Belasco AGS1, Barbosa DA1. ~ha~ dulce.barbosa at unifesp.br
Study amazingly does not state the size of loading nor maintenance doses
Unsure the time period for infection statistics – 0-6 months, 3-6 months? 5-6 months?
Did all chronic kidney patients get maintenance dose?
Kidney category starts withKidney category listing has
see also Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Search VitaminDWiki for dialysis OR haemodialysis 1040 items as of Nov 2018
Search VitaminDWiki for kidney transplant 798 items as of June 2019
"Chronic Kidney Disease" OR CKD 874 items as of Jan 2018
Kidney Intervention trials using Vitamin D:
- Chronic Kidney Disease (stage 3) slowed by 30 ng of Vitamin D and Calcitriol – Dec 2019
- Diabetic nephropathy (Kidney) treated by 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly – RCT Jan 2019
- Hemodialysis patients (CKD) helped by weekly 50,000 IU of vitamin D – Jan 2017
- Kidney disease helped by active or high dose Vitamin D - Feb 2014
- Peritoneal Dialysis nicely treated by active vitamin D – July 2013
- 7100 IU (50000 weekly) restored vitamin D levels for those with Chronic Kidney Disease – July 2012
- Chronic Kidney Disease reduced with 3600 IU vitamin D (50000 twice a month)– RCT Aug 2012
- Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Overview Kidney and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: Kidney is the primary way to activate vitamin D
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is less active vitamin D (Calcitriol) for the body
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is increased death due to many factors - many of which are associated with lack of Calcitriol
- FACT: There are many on-going intervention clinical trials trying to determine how much of what kind of vitamin D is needed to treat the problem
- FACT: One Randomized Controlled Trial has proven that Vitamin D treats CKD
- FACT: Taking extra Vitamin D, in various forms, does not cause health problems - even if poor kidney
- Suggestion: Increase vitamin D getting into body now - and increase co-factors so that the vitamin D can be better used
Sun, UV lamp, Vitamin D supplement - probably > 5,000 IU,
Calcitriol - which bypasses the need for the kidney to activate vitamin D
Problems with Calcitriol however: typically only lasts for a few hours, also, possible complications
Update: Pre-cursor of active vitamin D made from plants is better than calcitriol – Sept 2012
- Category Kidney and Vitamin D contains
192 items Supplement Infection Vitamin D 16 % No D 32 % Blood level Loading Dose Maint. Dose <20 ng/mL 3 months 3 months? 20–19 ng/mL 3 month; 3 months? >30 ng/mL no maintenance dose
3 month or 6 month?
To evaluate the effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation as protection factor against infection of patients with chronic kidney disease on conservative treatment.
Retrospective cohort study carried out between 2013 and 2016 in the Conservative Treatment Outpatient Clinics (Ambulatório de Tratamento Conservador) of the Hypertension and Kidney Hospital (Hospital do Rim e Hipertensão) of the Universidade Federal de São Paulo. Data on sociodemographic factors, comorbidity, infection episodes and use or nonuse of vitamin D supplementation for at least 6 months were collected from medical records. The primary outcomes considered in both groups were: presence or absence of infection anywhere on the body (bloodstream, urinary, respiratory and surgical sites).
A total of 263 patients were included and those who received (n=43) vitamin D had 59% less chance of developing infections (OR=0.41; 95%CI; 0.15-0.99), when compared to those who did not receive.
CONCLUSION: Vitamin D supplementation was a protective factor against infections of all causes.