Impact of vitamin D supplementation on markers of inflammation in adults with cystic fibrosis hospitalized for a pulmonary exacerbation
Short Communication; European Journal of Clinical Nutrition , (18 July 2012) | doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.82
R E Grossmann, S M Zughaier, S Liu, R H Lyles and V Tangpricha
Patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) suffer from chronic lung infection and inflammation leading to respiratory failure. Vitamin D deficiency is common in patients with CF, and correction of vitamin D deficiency may improve innate immunity and reduce inflammation in patients with CF. We conducted a double-blinded, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial of high-dose vitamin D to assess the impact of vitamin D therapy on antimicrobial peptide concentrations and markers of inflammation.
We randomized 30 adults with CF hospitalized with a pulmonary exacerbation to 250?000 IU of cholecalciferol or placebo, and evaluated changes in plasma concentrations of inflammatory markers and the antimicrobial peptide LL-37 at baseline and 12 weeks post intervention. In the vitamin D group, there was a
- 50.4% reduction in tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF-?) at 12 weeks (P<0.01),
- and there was a trend for a 64.5% reduction in interleukin-6 (IL-6) (P=0.09).
There were no significant changes in
- IL-18BP and
- NGAL (neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin).
We conclude that a large bolus dose of vitamin D is associated with reductions in two inflammatory cytokines, IL-6 and TNF-?.
This study supports the concept that vitamin D may help regulate inflammation in CF, and that further research is needed to elucidate the potential mechanisms involved and the impact on clinical outcomes.
– – – the rest of the short communication is behind a paywall – – – – – –
- Death due to cystic fibrosis reduced about 4X due to 250000 IU of vitamin D – RCT June 2012 apparently the same study
- Category of Cystic Fibrosis
- Vitamin D and Cystic Fibrosis - 2010.PDF file
- Cystic fibrosis associated with low vitamin D – May 2012
- A type of vitamin D by Biotics Research for mal-absorption probably works for Cystic Fibrosis as well
- Review of Cystic Fibrosis and Vitamin D PDF file, not web page: which has the following figureCystic fibrosis helped with single dose of 250,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT July 2012
6619 visitors, last modified 17 Mar, 2015,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)