J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Sep 16.
Michael YL, Smit E, Seguin R, Curb JD, Phillips LS, Manson JE.
Drexel University School of Public Health , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Abstract Background: Impairments in physical performance increase sharply with age. Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) levels may be a modifiable risk factor for physical performance decline.
Methods: Five hundred thirty-two participants in the Women's Health Initiative Clinical Trial (WHI CT) were among a 25% randomly selected subsample of women who participated in performance-based measures of physical performance at baseline, year 1, year 3, and year 6. A physical performance summary score was derived from three tests:
- timed walk,
- chair-stand, and
- grip strength.
Levels of 25-OHD were measured at baseline. We used the generalized estimating equations (GEE) method to examine repeated measures of physical performance as a function of follow-up time since baseline according to 25-OHD concentration.
Results: In 6 years of follow-up, participants with serum 25OHD ?75?nmol/L had significantly higher scores for physical performance (?=2.64, 95% confidence interval CI 0.90-4.39) compared with the reference category (<35?nmol/L) after adjustment for age, chronic conditions, body mass index (BMI), race/ethnicity, time spent walking outside, trial arm, clinic latitude, and season of blood draw.
However, the rate of decline in physical performance did not differ by level of 25OHD.
Conclusions: Higher baseline serum 25-OHD was associated with better physical performance but did not reduce decline in physical performance over the 6-year period.
– – – – – – – –
?=2.64 for vitamin D of >30 ng vs < 14 ng
- Overview Seniors lack Vitamin D
- Speed of getting up from chair is proportional to Vitamin D levels (above 30 ng) Jan 2018
- Seniors category listing has
360 items along with related searches
- Seniors with more than 30ng of vitamin D walked better – May 2011
- Seniors with more than 20 ng of vitamin D were 14 percent stronger – May 2011
- Sports and Vitamin D category listing has
241 items along with related searches
- Effect of vitamin D on muscle strength - meta-analysis 2010 pdf
- Seniors who increased vitamin D got more physical exercise – Feb 2011
- Frailty and vitamin D – U shaped curve – Dec 2010 has the following graphSenior women more physically able if vitamin D higher than 30 ng – Sept 2011
3257 visitors, last modified 05 Jan, 2018,