Clin Chim Acta. 2013 Mar 2. pii: S0009-8981(13)00080-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2013.02.025.
Shin JY, Shim JY.
Department of Family Medicine, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
BACKGROUND: We assessed the impact of vitamin D on hemoglobin levels in Korean adults, considering gender and menopause status.
METHODS: We analyzed 2,528 men and 3,258 women divided into quartiles of vitamin D from the Fifth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2010. Anemia was defined as a hemoglobin level of <13g/dl in men and <12g/dl in women.
RESULTS: Pre- and post-menopausal women in the lowest 25-hydroxyvitamin D group were at an increased risk of anemia, after adjusting for confounding factors (OR (95% CI); Premenopausal: Q1 (≥18.45ng/ml), 1; Q2 (14.69-18.44ng/ml), 1.120 (0.745, 1.683); Q3 (11.93-14.68ng/ml), 1.427 (0.963, 2.116); Q4 (≤11.92ng/ml), 1.821 (1.240, 2.673); P=0.009; Post: Q1 (≥22.04ng/ml), 1; Q2 (16.92-22.03ng/ml), 1.106 (0.697, 1.756); Q3 (13.37-16.91ng/ml), 1.167 (0.740, 1.839); Q4 (≤13.36ng/ml), 1.583 (1.026, 2.447); P=0.038). In addition, pre-and post-menopausal women in the lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D group were at a higher risk of Iron deficient anemia and anemia of inflammation.
However, post-menopausal women did not show a higher risk of anemia with CKD (p=0.470). Men with the lowest 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels did not show a higher risk of anemia (P=0.528).
CONCLUSIONS: vitamin D-deficient Korean women had a higher risk of anemia.
Copyright © 2012. Published by Elsevier B.V.
|ng/ml range||Hazard Ratio|
|15 -18||1.1 (0.745, 1.683)|
|12-15||1.4 (0.963, 2.116)|
|≤12||1.8 (1.240, 2.673); P=0.009;|
- Iron deficiency is a cause of Vitamin D deficiency Korea?
- 5X more likely to be vitamin D deficient if anemic - Dec 2012 Korea
- 2X increased chance of anemia (low iron) associated with low vitamin D – Sept 2013 Korea
- All items in category Iron and Vitamin D
- Deficiencies of iron and vitamin D are interrelated in women – March 2013
- Anemia 1.9X more likely in white children having lowish vitamin D – Jan 2014Anemia perhaps results in low vitamin D for premenosausal women – March 2013
2500 visitors, last modified 28 Aug, 2015,