- 1. As sun exposure in the U.S. has DECREASED by 90% during the last century, melanoma incidence has INCREASED BY 3,000%.
- 2. A 20-year Swedish study shows that sun avoidance is as bad for the health as cigarette smoking.
- 3. A Spanish study shows that women who seek the sun have one-eleventh the hip fracture risk as those who avoid sun.
- 4. Men who work outdoors have half the risk of melanoma as those who work indoors.
- 5. Women who totally avoid the sun have 10-times the risk of breast cancer.
- 6. Women who sunbathe regularly have half the risk of death during a 20-year period compared to those who stay indoors.
- 7. Sun exposure increases nitric oxide production, which leads to a decrease in heart attack risk.
- 8. Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, is essential to human survival, and sun exposure is the only natural way to obtain it.
Sunbathing can produce 20,000 units of vitamin D in 20 minutes of whole-body exposure.
- 9. Sun exposure dramatically improves mood through the production of serotonin and endorphin.
- 10.Beyond vitamin D, sun exposure also stimulates the production of endorphin, nitric oxide and BDNF, all of which are vital to human health.
- 11.Regular sun exposure also reduces high blood pressure, heart disease, psoriasis and multiple sclerosis (MS).
- 12.As sunscreen use has increased dramatically, melanoma has increased exponentially.
For the scientific references and articles for the above statements, visit http://sunlightinstitute.org
Marc Sorenson is the co-author of Embrace the Sun – benefits of the sun throughout the day and year – book June 2018