Commentary. Eliminating vitamin D deficiency during the COVID-19 pandemic: A call to action
Metabolism, Volume 112, November 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2020.154322
JoAnn E.Manson ab Shari S.Bassuk a
Lines of evidence that vitamin D deficiency is an important modifiable risk factor for COVID-19.
- Laboratory studies: Vitamin D is important for immune function, modulates the inflammatory response to infection, and regulates the renin-angiotensin system.
- Ecologic studies: Countries with lower average levels of 25(OH)D or lower solar ultraviolet-B radiation exposure have higher COVID-19 mortality.
- Demographic groups known to be at higher risk of vitamin D deficiency—Black individuals, the elderly, nursing-home residents, and those with obesity, vascular comorbidities, or chronic kidney disease—are also those at high risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and/or mortality.
- Observational studies of individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2a: Low 25(OH)D levels are associated with a greater likelihood of testing positive for the virus.
- Observational studies of COVID-19 patients: 25(OH)D levels correlate inversely with COVID-19 severity.
- Observational studies (pre-COVID era): Low vitamin D status is associated with increased risk of acute respiratory tract infections.
- Randomized clinical trials (pre-COVID era): Vitamin D supplementation decreases risk of respiratory tract infection, especially in those with low 25(OH)D levels.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of April 29, 2022, the VitaminDWiki COVID page had: 19 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 126 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (March 2023) Cost to prevent a COVID death: 11 dollars of Vitamin D - Nov 2022
5 most-recently changed Virus entries
VitaminDWiki pages with CALL and ACTION in title
This list is automatically updated