Metabolism, Volume 112, November 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2020.154322
JoAnn E.Manson ab Shari S.Bassuk a
Lines of evidence that vitamin D deficiency is an important modifiable risk factor for COVID-19.
- Laboratory studies: Vitamin D is important for immune function, modulates the inflammatory response to infection, and regulates the renin-angiotensin system.
- Ecologic studies: Countries with lower average levels of 25(OH)D or lower solar ultraviolet-B radiation exposure have higher COVID-19 mortality.
- Demographic groups known to be at higher risk of vitamin D deficiency—Black individuals, the elderly, nursing-home residents, and those with obesity, vascular comorbidities, or chronic kidney disease—are also those at high risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and/or mortality.
- Observational studies of individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2a: Low 25(OH)D levels are associated with a greater likelihood of testing positive for the virus.
- Observational studies of COVID-19 patients: 25(OH)D levels correlate inversely with COVID-19 severity.
- Observational studies (pre-COVID era): Low vitamin D status is associated with increased risk of acute respiratory tract infections.
- Randomized clinical trials (pre-COVID era): Vitamin D supplementation decreases risk of respiratory tract infection, especially in those with low 25(OH)D levels.
VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of Augest 11, 2022, the VitaminDWiki page had: 34 trials, 11 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, 69 observations, 38 recommendations, 55 associations, 89 speculations, 58 videos, 45 Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Recent Virus pages Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 116 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (08/2022)
5 most-recently changed Virus entries
This list is automatically updated