Toggle Health Problems and D

Asthma worse if lower Vitamin D – Dec 2019

Are 25(OH) D concentrations associated with asthma control and pulmonary function test?

Caspian J Intern Med. 2019 Fall;10(4):377-382. doi: 10.22088/cjim.10.4.377.
Uzer F1, Ozbudak O2.


Overview Asthma and Vitamin D

Breathing category starts with the following

401 items in Breathing category

 Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki

The relationship between vitamin D and asthma is still under investigation. We aimed to evaluate the association between serum vitamin D levels and clinical characteristics of asthma, and the impact of vitamin D deficiency on the clinical manifestations, as them being the issues of debate.

Patients who were admitted to the outpatient clinics of Chest Diseases Department of Akdeniz University Hospital between January 2014 and December 2014, have been diagnosed as asthma according to the GINA 2014 guidelines were included in this study. Subjects with COPD, bronchiectasis, pneumonia or tuberculosis were excluded. Asthma exacerbation was defined, according to the GINA guidelines, as episodes of progressive shortness of breath, cough, wheezing or chest tightness accompanied by PFT abnormalities such as decreased PEF or FEV1.

A total of 158 patients with mean age of 48.8 years were included in the study. Twenty-seven (17.08%) of the patients demonstrated sufficient vitamin D serum levels (i.e. ≥30 ng/mL), while the remaining 131 (82.92%) patients had vitamin D insufficiency (i.e. <30 ng/mL). When these two patient groups (vitamin D sufficient vs. insufficient) were compared with each other, the patients showing sufficient levels of vitamin D were found to reveal significantly higher FEV1 (L) and FVC (L) values. When the patients were grouped into 4 categories with regard to their serum vitamin D measurements, hospitalization numbers were found to significantly increase with decreasing vitamin D levels.

CONCLUSION: Vitamin D deficiency was significantly associated with poorer pulmonary functions and higher hospitalization numbers.

Created by admin. Last Modification: Tuesday December 10, 2019 13:41:35 GMT-0000 by admin. (Version 3)

Attached files

ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads
13130 Asthma lung function.jpg admin 10 Dec, 2019 13:29 61.29 Kb 201
13129 Asthma resp response.pdf PDF 2019 admin 10 Dec, 2019 13:28 336.18 Kb 234
See any problem with this page? Report it (FINALLY WORKS)