Insurance generally pays only for lab tests that are ordered by a physician, so direct-access programs tend to be self-pay.
With some health plans, self-referral can be cheaper than going through a doctor because facility fees aren't charged.
CLICK HERE for details at one location
They let you order 17 types of blood tests – including vitamin D
Very few patients do so: 1,700 of the 7 million lab tests at one location – an increase of 25% from 2010 to 2011
– – – – – – – –
This nicely eliminates one of the barriers to trying vitamin D – getting to the doctor and then often need to convince him that you need a vitamin D test.
Alternately, you can order a vitamin D test on-line and have it done at a lab or done at home – and you mail in a dried sample of blood
- Low cost vitamin D Blood Tests
- All items in category Test for D
- Many on variation between tests: different days, different testing methods
- After 245,000 vitamin D tests 121,000 supplemented but only 5,400 had 2nd test – Oct 2011
- Consultation to medical professionals on Vitamin D Testing - Sept 2011
- Perhaps use a low cost test of excess Calcium in bloodstream
- Quick self test of vitamin D deficiency not quantitative, but free