Proposal and Validation of a Quick Question to Rate the Influence of Sun Exposure in Geriatric Epidemiological Studies on Vitamin D.
Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2012 Dec 1;82(6):412-416.
Annweiler C ceannweiler at chu-angers.fr , Schott AM, Beauchet O.
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Angers University Hospital, Angers University Memory Clinic, UNAM, Angers, France, and Robarts Research Institute, Department of Medical Biophysics, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada.
Background: Vitamin D is synthesized in the skin under the action of solar ultraviolet-B radiation. The objective of this study was to determine whether a simple question exploring sun exposure (When weather is nice, do you stay more than 15 minutes exposed to the sun (face and hands uncovered) between 11am and 3pm?) could be associated with serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status among 751 older community-dwelling women (mean age, 80.2 ± 3.5 years).
Methods: Two groups were distinguished based on the binary Yes versus No answer. Hypovitaminosis D was defined as serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D < 30 ng/mL.
Results: Fewer women with hypovitaminosis D answered Yes to the question on sun exposure (p = 0.042).
Answering Yes was inversely associated with hypovitaminosis D (OR = 0.56, p = 0.049) after adjustment for demographic characteristics and exogenous sources of vitamin D, with a positive predictive value of 88 %.
Conclusion: This simple question may reflect the sun's influence on vitamin D status and identify older community-dwellers with hypovitaminosis D.
Details from the author
8.4% were dark-skinned seniors
not obese, mean BMI 25.7±4.4kg/m2
Study was done in all seasons
Study was done in 5 areas in France
- Overview Seniors and Vitamin D
- Activity and being outdoors helps seniors – GPS and Vitamin D Dec 2012
- Many Italian seniors garden, have high levels of vitamin D and are healthy - April 2012
- "Sunlight Officers" in some Australian senior facilities - Sept 2011
- No – 10 minutes per day of sun-UVB is NOT enough
- Increase your vitamin D from the sun by wearing a tan-through instead of standard shirt a possibility for seniors
- Search for Annweiler on VitaminDWiki 66 items as of July 2013