There have been many extremely successful vitamin D intervention trials.
Often the trials are random-controlled and double-blind: neither the doctor nor the subject knows who gets it
The trials are listed in the following table are sorted by the number of days between doses of 50,000 IU.
It appears that the higher the dose of vitamin D the more diseases which are prevented or treated.
number of people
|RCT = Random Controlled Trial|
CT = Clinical Trial
|2||Traumatic Brain Injury||T||2X||RCT, 20,000 IU||24|
|2||Raynaud's Syndrome||T||40 %||RCT, visual scale||10|
|2||Multiple Sclerosis||R||95% Recovered||CT, 20K-140,K IU/day +Vit B2||43|
|3||Sickle Cell||T||Less pain||RCT up to 100,000 IU/week||22|
|4||Sleep disorder||R||Recovered||CT, 60-80 ng +Vit B12|
|5||Muscle fatigue||T||Reduced||CT, 20,000 IU every 2nd day|
|5||Back Pain||T||95% reduced||CT, 5,000-10,000/day|
|5||Cluster Headaches||R||80% cured||CT, 10,000/day+ Omega-3 etc.|
|5||Parkinson's Disease||T||Ongoing Trial||RCT, 50,000 IU/week|
|7||Leg ulcer healing||T||4X faster||RCT, 50,000 IU/week small study||23|
|7||Menstrual pain||P||76 %||RCT, 7000 IU avg||11|
|7||Skin problems resolved||T||70 %||RCT, 50,000 IU/week|
|7||Fibromyalgia||T||Significantly reduced||RCT, 50,000 IU/week|
|7||Multiple Sclerosis||P||68%||RCT, 7100 IU prevent pre-MS ==> MS||26|
|7||Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||T||17X improvement||CT (not random), 50,000 IU/week||45|
|9||Chronic kidney disease||T||50 % not need dialysis||RCT, 40,000 IU / week|
|9||Gestational Diabetes||P||40%||RCT, 5,000 IU||44|
|9||Low vitamin D while breastfed||P||All > 20 ng||RCT, 5,000 IU||38|
|10||PAIN||T||not yet published||Clinical Trial, 34,590 IU/week|
|12||Diabetes T2||T||62 %||RCT, CRP reduction, 4000 IU||4|
|12||Pregnancy risks||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU||12|
|12||C-section, unplanned||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU, small study||13|
|12||Respiratory Tract Infection||P||63 %||RCT 4000 IU 1 year||20|
|12||Prostate Cancer||T||Fewer +cores||RCT, 4000 IU (2012)||35|
|12||Hives, Chronic||T||Reduced 40%||RCT, 4000 IU added||40|
|12||Muscle in seniors||T||+17 %||RCT, 4000 IU||30|
|14||Fibrolyalgia||T||Reduced||RCT, 30-48 ng||39|
|15||Lupus||T||No flares||Load then 100,000/month||21|
|Note: due to short half life, should not take 50,000 IU any less frequently than about 18 days|
|21||Hypertension||T||149 to 142||RCT, mm Hg avg., 2400 IU||1|
|25||Influenza||P||90 %||RCT, 2000 IU||6|
|25||Gingivitis||T||88 %||RCT, 2000 IU||29|
|25||Antibiotic use when >70y||T||47 %||RCT, 60,000 IU/month||31|
|25||Weight Loss||T||Reduced extra 5 lbs||RCT, 2000 IU +diet +exercise||42|
|30||Asthma||T||Reduced||RCT, 60,000 IU/month||36|
|45||Parkinson's Disease||T||Stabilize||RCT, 1200 IU||25|
|45||Breast Cancer||P||60 %||RCT 1100 IU||16|
|50||Cardiovascular||T||32 % fewer deaths |
after heart failure
|CT, 1,000 IU|
|50||Cholesterol||T||Reduced 4 mg||RCT, 400 IU + Ca||41|
* Proof # Vitamin D Proof: Random controlled Trials Updated May 2014
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page June 2014 1pg Legal English
Following curve indicates that probably want to take 50,000 IU of vitamin D at least every two weeks.
- Lowest-cost form of vitamin D3 (about 2 cents per 5,000 IU)
- The half life of vitamin D3 is measured in weeks - so taking 50,000 every few weeks is OK (half life of vitamin D2 is measured in days)
- This is the size of vitamin D that doctors have been used to prescribing for many decades - generally as a loading dose every week or two.
- Now doctors can prescribe Vitamin D3 instead of D2
- This has has very low toxicity - even if accidentally taken daily, the toxicity does not occur until it has been taken daily for 3 months
- Can be even used by those who cannot swallow pills (the powder in the capsule is tasteless and can be taken directly or in food or beverage
- Must balance cofactors when increasing vitamin D
- Overview Vitamin D cofactors Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin K2, etc.
which increase vitamin D response and benefit to bones and other parts of the body
- Just mark your calendar for vitamin D days
I just put a colored dot on my day calendar to remind me when I should take my 50,000 IU again.
As of March 2012, their 50,000 IU size was widely available in the US and on the internet
They also sell 5,000 IU capsules. The 5,000 IU and 50,000 IU sizes are available both over the counter and as a prescription. These are NOT new products.
It is available on the internet in via many suppliers, such as Amazon $20 for 100 capsules.
Bio-Tech has supplied products to over 40 institutions for use in clinical research, usually at no cost
The PDF attached at the bottom of this page details their US and international distributors as of Sept 2012.
The wholesale cost of 50,000 IU of D3 is about 15 cents. (D2. which doctors previously prescribed, is much more expensive and not nearly as good
Their capsules are made from beef (non-pork: Kosher/Halal approved)
Vegi capsules (without beef) are available, but are more expensive
As of Feb 2013 Bio-tech is 1 of 2 suppliers for 50,000 IU on Amazon (there is another company which has 25,000 IU capsules
As of Oct 2012 there were 41 public clinical trials using/had used Bio-Tech supplements
28 of the clinical trials used 50,000 IU of vitamin D
- Overview How Often to take vitamin D
- Overview Loading Doses of vitamin D
- Overview How Much vitamin D
- Half-life of vitamin D varies - virtually perfectly with a 50,000 IU capsule
- Do You need a Suncation or just vitamin D - Nov 2012 Get more vitamin D from 4 capsules ($1) than from a 2 week suncation
- Is 50 ng of vitamin D too high, just right, or not enough
- Is too much vitamin D bad – possible causes and cures
- One pill every two weeks gives you all the vitamin D most adults need
- Take vitamin D3 daily or weekly
Short URL for this page: http://is.gd/50000D3