Am J Ther. 2017 May 3. doi: 10.1097/MJT.0000000000000538
Reddy P1, Edwards LR.
Division of General Internal Medicine, UF Health Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL.
Vitamin D and magnesium (Mg) are some of the most studied topics in medicine with enormous implications for human health and disease. Majority of the adults are deficient in both vitamin D and magnesium but continue to go unrecognized by many health care professionals.
AREAS OF UNCERTAINTY:
Mg and vitamin D are used by all the organs in the body, and their deficiency states may lead to several chronic medical conditions. Studies described in the literature regarding these disease associations are contradictory, and reversal of any of these conditions may not occur for several years after adequate replacement. One should consider the supplementation therapy to be preventative rather than curative at this time.
DATA SOURCES: PubMed search of several reported associations between vitamin D and Mg with diseases.
RESULTS: Vitamin D and Mg replacement therapy in elderly patients is known to reduce the nonvertebral fractures, overall mortality, and the incidence of Alzheimer dementia.
CONCLUSIONS: Vitamin D screening assay is readily available, but the reported lower limit of the normal range is totally inadequate for disease prevention. Based on the epidemiologic studies, ∼75% of all adults worldwide have serum 25(OH)D levels of <30 ng/mL.
Because of the recent increase in global awareness, vitamin D supplementation has become a common practice, but Mg deficiency still remains unaddressed.
Screening for chronic magnesium deficiency is difficult because a normal serum level may still be associated with moderate to severe deficiency. To date, there is no simple and accurate laboratory test to determine the total body magnesium status in humans. Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg. Adequate magnesium supplementation should be considered as an important aspect of vitamin D therapy.
Download the PDF from Sci-Hub via VitaminDWiki
- Hypothesis: Magnesium accounts for some of the variation in vitamin D response – Oct 2013
- How to get lots of Magnesium – especially needed for Coimbra MS and Autoimmune Protocol
- Pregnancy helped by Magnesium - many studies
- Magnesium and Vitamin D very synergistic – Aug 2013
- Vitamin D level can be high, but little benefit: due to kidney, genes, low Magnesium etc.
- MAGNESIUM IN MAN - IMPLICATIONS FOR HEALTH AND DISEASE – review 2015
- Heart problems such as Afib related to little Magnesium, Omega-3, Vitamin D getting to tissues
- Magnesium is associated with prevention and treatment of Diabetes – Meta-analysis Aug 2016
- Overview Magnesium and vitamin D
- Death after Breast Cancer 2 times less likely if take lots of Magnesium – Dec 2015
- All-cause mortality is related to low Magnesium, rather than low Vitamin D – April 2015
- Asthma severe when both Vitamin D AND Magnesium are low – Oct 2016
- Magnesium is needed by Vitamin D in 8 places - 2013
- Magnesium and Vitamin D category listing has
339 items along with related searches
It also has "Will Magnesium Become the Next Vitamin D?" Dec 2016 Life Extension MagVitamin D supplementation often needs Magnesium – May 2017
5853 visitors, last modified 10 Nov, 2023,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)