Variations in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D during acute pancreatitis: an exploratory longitudinal study.
Endocr Res. 2011;36(4):135-41.
Bang UC, Novovic S, Andersen AM, Fenger M, Hansen MB, Jensen JE.
Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark. ulrichbangbang at gmail.com
OBJECTIVES: We tested the hypothesis that 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 (25OHD) changes during acute inflammation in humans.
METHODS: Patients with first episode of acute pancreatitis were included. Blood samples were acquired on admission and on days 1, 2, and 14.
In total, 73 patients (35 males, median age 59) entered the study. On admission, the distribution of 25-OHD levels was as follows: severely deficient (<13 nmol/L) 23%; deficient (13-25 nmol/L) 20%; insufficient (26-50 nmol/L) 40%; and normal (<50 nmol/L) 17%. There was a significant fall and linear trend in 25OHD, albumin, and hemoglobin from day 0 to day 2.
From day 0 to day 2 the drop in 25OHD was 3.1 nmol/L (95% CI 0.59-5.63).
The changes from day 0 to day 2 in 25OHD were associated with changes in C-reactive protein (p = 0.02) but not with leukocyte or monocyte count.
The 25OHD levels dropped during the first 2 days of acute pancreatitis beyond what was expected based on 25OHD half-life. This study supports our hypothesis that an acute inflammatory condition utilizes 25OHD, but other mechanisms could interfere.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
No indication in abstract of average vitamin D level, so we have had to estimate the half-life.
We can only wonder how much the vitamin D level dropped before entering the hospital.
- Half-life of vitamin D varies
- Acute pancreatitis in dogs is associated with low vitamin D (lowest D equals death) – Aug 2017
- Chronic pancreatitis associated with somewhat lower levels of vitamin D – meta-analysis July 2016
- Inflammation category listing has
138 items along with related searches
- Severe acute pancreatitis treated in 11 ways by Omega-3 in just 7 days – RCT April 2018Vitamin D3 half-life about 10 days with pancreatitis inflammation – 2011
4207 visitors, last modified 18 Sep, 2018,