The effect of Vitamin D supplementation on arterial stiffness in an elderly community based population
J. of the American Society of Hypertension , online Dec 31, 2014 doi:10.1016/j.jash.2014.12.019
C. McGreevya, cmcgreevy at mater.i.e. , M. Barrya, C. Davenportb, B. Byrnec, C. Donaghyc, G. Collierc, W. Tormeyd, D. Smithb, K. Bennette, D. Williamsa,
- Arterial stiffness measure (PWM) reduced from 12.2 to 12.0 by a single injection of 100,000 IU Vitamin D
- Even though only 6% of the people got above 30 ng level of vitamin D
- VitaminDWiki expects that far less hypertension if more vitamin D was used and a higher % of people had gotten to > 30 ng
- Injection does not appear to be necessary
Vitamin D deficiency may lead to impaired vascular function and abnormalities in central arterial stiffness. We compared the effects of two different doses of vitamin D3 on arterial stiffness in an elderly population with deficient serum 25OHD levels.
119 known vitamin D deficient(<50nmol/L) subjects were randomised to receive either 50,000IU or 100,000IU single IM vitamin D3.
In the group that received 100,000IU vitamin D, median PWV
- decreased from 12.2(5.1-40.3) m/sec
- to 11.59(4.3-14.9) m/sec after 8 weeks (p=0.22).
A mean decrease of 3.803+/-1.7(p=0.032) in Augmentation Index (Aix)( a measure of systemic stiffness) was noted.
Only 3/51(5.8%) who received 100,000IU vitamin D reached levels of sufficiency (>75nmol/L).
A significant decrease in Augmentation index was seen in the group that received 100,000IU vitamin D. Serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D were still deficient at 8 weeks in the majority of patients which may be attributable to impaired bioavailability.
- Hypertension and vitamin D
- Proof that Vitamin D Works this study is the 4th RCT proving hypertension reduced by Vitamin D
- Arterial stiffness reduced by vitamin D
- Hypertension category listing and associated information - such as the following
Recent increase in Hypertension age adjusted
The TOP articles in Hypertension and Vitamin D are listed here:
- Hypertension associated with genes which reduce vitamin D – meta-analysis June 2014
- Metabolic Syndrome in children is associated with low vitamin D – review Jan 2013
- Vitamin D associated with 50 percent less ischemic stroke – meta-analysis Aug 2012
- Hypertension 2X more likely when vitamin D levels lower than 14 ng – meta-analysis May 2012
- Systolic blood pressure reduced by vitamin D (many studies)