Fact: Seniors have lower level of gastric acid
Fact: Gastic Acid is need to digest protein
Suspected: Low gastric acid >> low gut absorption/bioavailability of Vitamin D
Fact: Low Protein and low Vitamin D are both factors in Sarcopenia
Fact: Low Vitamin D is a factor in a great many senior health problems
- Sarcopenia (muscle loss) and Vitamin D
- Intestines do not process active vitamin D as well as you age – June 2012
- 10 reasons why seniors need more vitamin D
- Gastric Balance: Heartburn Not Always Caused by Excess Acid
Nutrition Review April 2013 shows decrease of gastric acid with age
Heartburn, a burning sensation in the chest caused by the regurgitation of bile through the stomach into the lower esophagus, is a frequent symptom of low gastric acid.
The traditional approach of treating heartburn is to suppress gastric acid by taking antacids or alkalizers.
This approach is the opposite of what should often be done . . . .
- Low Stomach Acid: The Risks, the Symptoms, and the Solutions 2007
- Soy protein meals stimulate less gastric acid secretion and gastrin release than beef meals. PubMed 1988
Average gastrin rises were 65%-75% less with soy than with beef
- The Importance of Maintaining Stomach Acid Levels Dr. David Williams Feb 2014
' . . proteins aren't broken down properly and certain minerals aren't being absorbed because stomach acid is required for this to happen.'
'Eat the protein foods at the beginning of your meal. Your stomach churns out nearly all of its hydrochloric acid when you begin eating.
- Did You Know Low Stomach Acid May Be Causing Your Health Problem? July 2014
Common causes for low stomach acid include: Aging, high Omega-6/IOmega-3, Autoimmune diseases
Test yourself with Betaine HCL with pepsine supplement - low cost - see how many capsules you need: 1==> 6
Has 10 Natural Ways To Treat Low Stomach Acid: such as apple cider vinegar, more salt, less carbohydrates, fermented good . .