GMB Union has 620,000 members in the UK
Night shift workers should be provided with free Vitamin D by bosses to keep them healthy, GMB congress has said.
A motion passed by GMB’s Annual congress today (June 11, 2019) calls for supplements for ‘night workers who rarely get enough sunshine to produce it naturally’.
Whilst there's no intention to make this mandatory, or to force workers to take anything that they don't want to, a little prevention can make a huge difference, and in this case that has to be good news for everyone.
Dan Shears, GMB Health and Safety Director
The GMB should use all its influence to work with employers for the use of Vitamin ‘D’ supplements, and as it is a welfare issue, provide access to them in the workplace.
A recent medical study on almost 80,000 suggests vitamin D could cut the risk of dying from cancer.
- High Risk category listing has
55 items along with related searches
- Shift workers have low vitamin D, poorer sleep, and are more depressed – March 2019
- Shiftworkers and Indoor Workers have lower Vitamin D levels – review of 10 studies Sept 2018
- Night shift workers far more likely to have low vitamin D levels – May 2016
- 40 percent lower vitamin D level if work other shifts (Italy) – June 2015
- Allergies and low vitamin D strongly associated with night shift bakers– Sept 2014
- Shiftwork diseases are often due to lack of vitamin D
Cost Savings of Vitamin D
- Workplace benefts VP likes Vitamin D – March 2019
- Presenteeism reduces productivity (Vitamin D can help)
- Higher vitamin D might result in higher productivity – 2017
- A Health Insurance company is giving free Vitamin D to members who are deficient – Aug 2018
Cost savings with Vitamin D includes the following
Employers should give night shift workers free vitamin D – GMB Union June 2019
- Medical problems are thought to be a cause of 66 percent of bankruptcies – April 2019
- Vitamin D is the 3rd most important contributor to health, following exercise and food
- 10 fewer days of ICU Mechanical Ventilation 300,000 IU injection of vitamin D – RCT March 2019
- Employers should give night shift workers free vitamin D – GMB Union June 2019
- Biology of Vitamin D – 30ng min., 50ng preferred, 1000X lower cost than health problem – Feb 2019
- Heart attack ICU costs cut in half by Vitamin D – Oct 2018
- Cost of US health exceeds the cost of food
- Curing patients is not a sustainable business model – Goldman Sachs – April 2018
- Medical insurance does not compensate for job loss by older workers who are hospitalized – Sept 2016
- If you cannot readily get medical treatment, consider Alternative Med such as vitamin D
1277 visitors, last modified 16 Dec, 2019,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)