Inositol and vitamin D may naturally protect human reproduction and women undergoing assisted reproduction from Covid-19 risk
Journal of Reproductive Immunology. Volume 144, April 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jri.2021.103271
lMaria SalomeBezerra EspinolaaMatteoBertellicdeMarianoBizzarriaVittorioUnferaAntonio SimoneLaganàfBernieroViscontibCesareAragonaa
- Vaccine trials excluded pregnancies, but now it is OK to be vaccinated while pregnant - Feb 2021
- Vitamin D plus Inositol might help pregnancies during COVID-19 – April 2021
- COVID-19 resulted in 3.7X decrease in Irish Very Low Weight Births (Vitamin D) - June 2020
- Flu vaccinations during pregnancy should NOT be the standard of care until tests show it is OK – Nov 2019
Pregnancy category starts with
- see also
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D
- Number of articles in both categories of Pregnancy and:
25 ; Depression 18 ; Diabetes 39 ; Obesity 12 ; Hypertension 35 ; Breathing 30 ; Omega-3 30 ; Vitamin D Receptor 20
- All items in category Infant/Child
- breastfed OR breastfeeding 1920 items as of Dec 2020
- Preeclampsia 825 items as of Jan 2018
- Pre-term 368 items (not in PDF) as of Nov 2020
- "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS 303 items as of Jan 2018
- Gestational Diabetes
- c-section OR "caesarean section" (various spellings) 937 items as of Aug 2020
- postpartum depression 208 items as of Aug 2018
- Search VitaminDiiki for MISCARRIAGE OR "Spontaneous abortion" 794 as of Feb 2020
- Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 33 items as of Feb 2017
- Fertility and Sperm category listing has
110 items along with related searches
- (Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW) 1180 items as of June 2020
- Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D
- Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D has the following summaryProblem
Reduces Evidence 0. Chance of not conceiving 3.4 times Observe 1. Miscarriage 2.5 times Observe 2. Pre-eclampsia 3.6 times RCT 3. Gestational Diabetes 3 times RCT 4. Good 2nd trimester sleep quality 3.5 times Observe 5. Premature birth 2 times RCT 6. C-section - unplanned 1.6 times Observe Stillbirth - OMEGA-3 4 times RCT - Omega-3 7. Depression AFTER pregnancy 1.4 times RCT 8. Small for Gestational Age 1.6 times meta-analysis 9. Infant height, weight, head size
within normal limits
RCT 10. Childhood Wheezing 1.3 times RCT 11. Additional child is Autistic 4 times Intervention 12.Young adult Multiple Sclerosis 1.9 times Observe 13. Preeclampsia in young adult 3.5 times RCT 14. Good motor skills @ age 3 1.4 times Observe 15. Childhood Mite allergy 5 times RCT 16. Childhood Respiratory Tract visits 2.5 times RCT
RCT = Randomized Controlled Trial
- MI down-regulates the expression of IL-6 through PI3K and promotes the formation of surfactant phospholipids in immature lung tissues.
- Inositol supplementation reduces the short-term adverse neonatal outcomes.
- Active Vitamin D is considered a hormone with an important role in human reproduction.
- Vitamin D modulates innate and acquired immune response and reduces IL-8 expression in respiratory epithelial cells.
- An adequate Vitamin D status may be effective against respiratory tract infections.
In late 2019, the new Coronavirus has been identified in the city of Wuhan then COVID-19 spreads like wildfire in the rest of the world. Pregnant women represent a risk category for increased abortion rates and vertical transmission with adverse events on the newborns has been recently confirmed. The scientific world is struggling for finding an effective cure for counteracting symptomatology. Today, there are many therapeutic proposes but none of them can effectively counteract the infection. Moreover, many of these compounds show important side effects not justifying their use. Scientific literature reports an immune system over-reaction through interleukins-6 activation. In this regard, the possibility to control the immune system represents a possible strategy for counteracting the onset of COVID-19 symptomatology. Vitamin D deficiency shows increased susceptibility to acute viral respiratory infections. Moreover, Vitamin D seems involved in host protection from different virus species by modulating activation and release of cytokines. Myo-inositol down-regulates the expression of IL-6 by phosphatidyl-inositol-3-kinase (PI3K) pathway. Furthermore, myo-inositol is the precursor of phospholipids in the surfactant and it is applied for inducing surfactant synthesis in infants for treating respiratory distress syndrome (RDS). This review aims to summarize the evidence about COVID-19 infection in pregnant women and to encourage the scientific community to investigate the use of Vitamin D and Myo-inositol which could represent a possible preventive treatment for pregnant women or women undergoing assisted reproductive technologies (ART).Vitamin D plus Inositol might help pregnancies during COVID-19 – April 2021
145 visitors, last modified 26 Jan, 2021,
- All items in category Infant/Child