IndieBirths Jan 2017
- “In 2005 the estimated cost for preterm birth in the United States was $26.2 billion annually, above the average cost of term births.”
- “Preterm babies are [also] at higher risks for complications and health issues such as jaundice, retinopathy of prematurity, and chronic lung disease.”
March of Dimes 2016: preterm
Premature birth -The financial impact on business March of Dimes   PDF
Average employer expenditures for newborn care
- "Costs per infant include all employer payments for newborn medical care during the first year of life."
- "Employers pay 12 times as much in health care costs for premature/low birthweight (LBW) babies as for babies born without complications."
- "Each premature/LBW baby costs employers an additional $49,760 in newborn health care costs.
When maternal costs are added, employers and their employees pay $58,917 more when a baby is born prematurely."
- "With 1 in 9 babies born prematurely, employers spend more on that one premature baby than on the remaining eight babies combined."
- figures from Truven Health Analytics, Inc. Costs of Preterm Birth. Prepared for March of Dimes, 2013
Premature/low birth weight infants stay in hospital almost two seeks longer
Economics of preterm birth reduction
Assumptions: additional $50,000 per premature birth, $100 for education & supplements per pregnancy
|Cost of |
|Net savings after|
|Vitamin D |
(5,000 IU avg)
|Vitamin C |
reduces early rupture
Does not include additional savings to infant beyond the first year
such as reductions in Autism, MS, Respiratory Tract Infection, Asthma, Allergies
Does not include additional savings to mother
such as reduction in preeclampsia, miscarriage, gestational diabetes, depression
nor does it assign any costs for anguish of possible premie death, stillbirth, time off from work, job productivity
Of course, the percentages cannot add up to 100%, which would = ZERO premature births
However, guess that the combination might result in a $3,500 average savings per birth
including reduction of preterm as well as other benefits to mother and child
Details of pregnancy-related cost reductions for other supplements
- Pregnancy and infants healthier with Omega-3 supplementation
- Typical pregnancy is now 39 weeks – Omega-3 and Vitamin D might restore it to full 40 weeks
- The Role of Vitamin C in Prevention of Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes
RCT 2013, 100 mg of Vitamin C  Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D is 100X better than folic acid during pregnancy
# needed to treat = 2000