Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations and Prevalence Estimates of Hypovitaminosis D in the U.S. Population Based on Assay-Adjusted Data.
J Nutr. 2012 Feb 8.
Ganji V, Zhang X, Tangpricha V.
Division of Nutrition, Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA.
Prevalence of hypovitaminosis D from previous NHANES reports did not account for assay changes and drifts over time.
Thus, published NHANES reports on vitamin D status for the U.S. population were likely either over- or underestimated.
We investigated changes in vitamin D status in the U.S. using assay-adjusted serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] data from NHANES, 1988-1994 (n = 18,641) and three cycles of NHANES, 2001-2006 (n = 23,424). Changes in geometric mean serum 25(OH)D and prevalence estimates for various serum 25(OH)D cut points (<25, <30, <40, <50, and <75 nmol/L) were determined.
From 1988-1994 to 2001-2006, geometric mean serum 25(OH)D significantly decreased by
- 9% in all participants,
- 12% in men,
- 14% in blacks,
- 16% in 12- to 15-y-old adolescents,
- 16% in 20- to 30-y-old adults,
- 13% in nonsupplement users, and
- 12% in persons with BMI >80th percentile (P < 0.001).
From 1988-1994 to 2001-2006, prevalence of serum 25(OH)D <30 nmol/L increased from
- 5 to 10% in all participants, from
- 3 to 8% in men, from
- 22 to 38% in blacks, from
- 3 to 8% in 12- to 15-y-old adolescents, from
- 5 to 12% in 20- to 30-y-old adults, from
- 6 to 14% in nonsupplement users, and from
- 8 to 17% in persons with BMI >80th percentile (P < 0.001).
Previous NHANES reports overestimated the increase in prevalence of hypovitaminosis D.
The recent decline in vitamin D status in the U.S. is more likely due to increased prevalence of obesity and other lifestyle changes
but not to changes in milk consumption.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Overview Deficiency of vitamin D
- All items in category Deficiency of vitamin D 185 items Feb 2012
- Review of Vitamin D Deficiencies in developing countries - Oct 2011
- All items in Far From Equator 105 items Feb 2012
- World Wide Vitamin D levels - Aug 2011
- Many reasons why vitamin D deficiency has become epidemic
- Medical Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency
- How you might double the benefit of your vitamin D
- Ways to increase the amount of vitamin D you get from the sun
- Reasons for low response to vitamin D