Vitamin D, Inflammation and Immunity: Review of Literature and Considerations on Recent Translational and Clinical Research Developments
The Open Rheumatology Journal , 10.2174/1874312901812010201, 2018, 12, (Suppl-1, M2) 201-213
Amelia C. Trombetta, Sabrina Paolino, Maurizio Cutolo mcutolo at unige.it
Research Laboratory and Academic Division of Clinical Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Inflammation category starts with
- Vitamin D energizes the innate and adaptive immune systems to fight lung inflammation – Sept 2022
- COVID-19 inflammation extinguished by 60,000 IU of vitamin D nanoemulsion daily for a week – RCT May 2021
- Inflammation (C-reactive protein) associated with low vitamin D in 22 diseases – April 2020
- Vitamin D reduces inflammation in critically ill patients – Sept 2020
- Inflammation is reduced by each of the following: Vitamin D, Omega-3, Diet
- How Vitamin D reduces inflammation, improves immunity and fights autoimmunity – review Dec 2018
- CYTOKINE in VitaminDWiki 12 titles as of Aug 2021
- 15 pages in VitaminDWiki had REACTIVE or CRP in title as of Sept 2021
- Little risk of infection after surgery if have more than 50 ng of vitamin D - 2014
The most relevant and recent literature findings linking exposure to sunlight, Vitamin D (VD), inflammation and immune system in health and disease, are reviewed.
Reduced sunlight exposure determined hypo-vitaminosis D to be common among patients or even healthy subjects, especially at higher latitudes. Numerous studies support the hypothesis that VD insufficiency could contribute to the higher autoimmune diseases incidence in the same geographic areas.
In the present review, the ways in which VD was reported to influence immune system, contributing to organism homeostasis or disease development are addressed. In fact, some of the hormone activities were recognised to determine stimulation or inhibition of immune system components.
Several diseases, where an association with VD deficiency was studied, are summarised. Finally, the rationale for optimization of substitutive/additive therapy with VD analogues and the last innovations regarding these drugs are mentioned.
|2937 visitors, last modified 30 May, 2021,