Neuropsychopharmacol Hung. 2012 Sep;14(3):177-87.
Antonsen JH, Gonda X, Dome P, Rihmer Z.
NAF-garden family practice, Brugata 6, 2380 Brumunddal, Norway. kendermagos at yahoo.com.
Suicide is a complex behaviour contributing to a significant number of unnecessary deaths worldwide. Accordingly, the quest for suicide risk factors is one of the most intensively developing issues of psychiatric research. In the last few decades a number of interesting results have been published about associations between season of birth (SOB) and several physiological and pathological aspects of human life, while, in regard to neuroscience, several investigations confirmed that SOB is associated with the risk of several major neuropsychiatric disorders and suicide as well. Research concerning the possible causative factors behind these associations were also performed suggesting that
SOB-associated factors (including
- day length;
- seasonal changes in maternal nutritional status and vitamin D levels;
- seasonal alterations in incidence of some common infective disorders)
contribute to neurochemical and consequentially temperament/personality trait alterations which may mediate the associations between SOB and psychiatric disorders.
Other results indicate an uneven distribution of monoamine metabolism-related genotypes in different birth season cohorts possibly underpinning the effects of SOB. In our narrative review we summarize and discuss the available literature on the relevance of the most important findings concerning the above fields.
- Health problems are related to birth month - June 2015
- Season of Birth category listing has
26 items along with related searches
- If born in the winter, 11 percent more likely to be vitamin D deficient as an adult – Sept 2015
- Odds of living to 100 increase by 40 % if had been born in the fall – 2011
- Hypothesis Vitamin D supplements will reduce suicide – 2011
- Time of Birth, Residential Solar Radiation and Age at Onset of Multiple Sclerosis 2010 file
- Season of Birth and Later Outcomes: Old Questions, New Answers file
- 7 % less likely to get immune mediated disease if born in the fall – July 2012
- Low vitamin D for various reasons ==> 9X Suicide
- Season of birth associated with pneumonia (10 pcnt) and multiple sclerosis (30 pcnt) – May 2013
- Suicide 2X more likely with low vitamin D (in military) – Jan 2013
- Diseases correlated to month of birth – 2008 which has many charts, such as the following:Association between season of birth and suicide – perhaps vitamin D – Sept 2012
5188 visitors, last modified 20 Aug, 2019,