Vitamin D supplementation for osteoporosis in older adults: can we make it help better?
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2016 Nov;20(21):4612-4621.
Dong CH1, Gao QM, Wang ZM, Wang AM, Zhen P.
1The Center of Orthopaedic Surgery of PLA, the General Hospital of Lanzhou Military Command, Gansu, China. zhenpingok at 163.com.
Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: Bones need Calcium (this has been known for a very long time)
- FACT: Vitamin D improves Calcium bioavailability (3X ?)
- FACT: Should not take > 750 mg of Calcium if taking lots of vitamin D (Calcium becomes too bio-available)
- FACT: Adding vitamin D via Sun, UV, or supplements increased vitamin D in the blood
- FACT: Vitamin D supplements are very low cost
- FACT: Many trials, studies. reviews, and meta-analysis agree: adding vitamin D reduces osteoporosis
- FACT: Toxic level of vitamin D is about 4X higher than the amount needed to reduce osteoporosis
- FACT: Co-factors help build bones.
- FACT: Vitamin D Receptor can restrict Vitamin D from getting to many tissues, such as bones
- It appears that to TREAT Osteoporosis:
- Calcium OR vitamin D is ok
- Calcium + vitamin D is good
- Calcium + vitamin D + other co-factors is great
- Low-cost Vitamin D Receptor activators sometimes may be helpful
- CONCLUSION: To PREVENT many diseases, including Osteoporosis, as well as TREAT Osteoporosis
- Category Osteoporosis has
- Category Bone Health has
Note: Osteoporosis causes bones to become fragile and prone to fracture
Osteoarthritis is a disease where damage occurs to the joints at the end of the bones
Osteoporosis category includes the following
205 items in category - see also Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D
- Overview Fractures and vitamin D
- Bone - Health
- VitaminDWiki pages with BONE MINERAL DENSITY or BMD in title 25 pages as of Feb 2023
- Search VitaminDWiki for OSTEOPENIA 1740 items as of July 2020
12 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Vitamin D Receptor categories 8 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Meta-analysis categories
- 20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
With the increase of the average age of our population, the incidence of diseases specific for older adults has been increasing. One of such diseases is osteoporosis. The true incidence of osteoporosis is unknown. But the estimates indicate that this disease affects wide proportions of the population, ranging in millions or even ten millions in large countries like the United States. As this poses a significant burden on the health care system, interventions that could prevent or treat this condition are in the focus of clinical research. Vitamin D, the determinant of bone health, has been tested in clinical studies as the agent to treat osteoporosis. Despite the progress, there is still some controversy about the targeted blood levels of vitamin D, most efficient way to supplement this vitamin, and clinical efficacy of this supplementation in the elderly.In the present review, we will highlight the metabolism of vitamin D and the aforementioned unresolved issues, as well as review the recent interventional studies on vitamin D supplementation. In the present review, we will highlight the metabolism of vitamin D and the aforementioned unresolved issues, as well as review the recent interventional studies on vitamin D supplementation.
PMID: 27874933Osteoporosis helped by Vitamin D, still not willing to recommend exact dose size – Nov 2016
3549 visitors, last modified 23 Nov, 2016,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- Category Bone Health has