Int J Spine Surg. 2020 Jun 30;14(3):447-454. doi: 10.14444/7059
Benjamin C Mayo 1, Dustin H Massel 1, Alem Yacob 1, Ankur S Narain 1, Fady Y Hijji 1, Nathaniel W Jenkins 1, James M Parrish 1, Krishna D Modi 1, William W Long 1, Nadia M Hrynewycz 1, Thomas S Brundage 1, Kern Singh 1
- Surgeries outcomes far better if daily 50,000 IU of vitamin D for a week – Oct 2018
- Surgery outcome worse if low vitamin D (lumbar spine surgery this time) – Nov 2019
- Spinal Surgery patients – almost all have low vitamin D – Nov 2016
- Vitamin D needed after most spinal surgeries (and before as well) – 2013
- Vitamin D before surgery often helps (Thyroidectomy in this case) – Sept 2019
- Pre-operative Vitamin D often helps (thyroidectomy in this case) – June 2021
Loading Dose of Vitamin D category has the following
see also Overview Loading of vitamin D Overview Toxicity of vitamin D
Better than Daily 1: Fewer chances to forget, 2) Gets past receptor barrier
Injection category has
It appears that over 1 million Vitamin D loading doses have been taken
Doses ranged from 100,000 to 600,000 IU over a period of a day to a month
No reports of serious adverse reactions
Many studies report on the benefits resulting from loading doses
TOP articles in Loading Dose of Vitamin D
- 400,000 IU of vitamin D 3 days after COVID symptoms reduced 14 day mortality by 3X – Annweiler RCT May 2022
- High-dose Vitamin D safe for children (10,000 IU daily, 600,000 IU bolus) – meta-analysis April 2022
- Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID
- Rapid Vitamin D Delivery May Result in Better COVID Outcomes - Dec 9, 2021
- Vitamin D loading doses quickly and safely raise levels – meta-analysis Dec 2021
- Childhood cancers – give Vitamin D loading dose if low – Oct 2021
- French recommended 200,000 IU of Vitamin D to stop COVID-19 - Jan 2021
- Stoss (loading) dose of vitamin D resulted in bigger response at 30 days (again) – RCT April 2021
- Vitamin D loading dose (stoss therapy) proven to improve health
- Low trauma bone fractures in seniors – considering Vitamin D loading dose for all, without testing – Nov 2019
- Intensive Care (ICU) helped by Vitamin D – review of past and on-going studies – Dec 2018
- Vitamin D restoration then monthly was the most popular dosing by trials – Nov 2018
- Rickets virtually cured by 90,000 IU of Vitamin D along with daily Calcium – RCT Nov 2018
- Rapidly restore Vitamin D levels with 10,000 IU per kg for children in ICU – RCT 2024
- Reasons for Low Vitamin D and what to do
- Healthy in Seven Days - Loading dose of Vitamin D – book 2014
- Can get 50,000 IU Vitamin D anywhere on the globe
- Rickets cured for 3 months with 10,000 IU per kg vitamin D (600,000 IU max) – Sept 2012
In this review, we discuss the demonstrated value of vitamin D in bone maintenance, fracture resistance, spinal health, and spine surgery outcomes. Despite this, the effect of vitamin D levels in spine surgery has not been well described. Through this review of literature, several conclusions were drawn.
- First, despite the fact that a high number of spine surgery patients are vitamin D deficient, screening is not commonly performed.
- Second, adequate vitamin D levels will not be achieved in a majority of these patients without supplementation.
- Last, inadequate vitamin D levels may increase the risk of pseudarthrosis.
Given these findings, we suggest that many patients undergoing spinal surgery could be treated with vitamin D supplementation prior to surgery without the need for confirmatory testing for vitamin D deficiency. This is a more cost-effective method than screening all patients. However, future randomized trials and cost-effectiveness analyses are needed to determine the ultimate effects of vitamin D supplementation on clinical morbidity and surgical outcomes.
|1625 visitors, last modified 14 Jun, 2021,