But 800 IU was enough to get most to 12 ng
A dose-response study of vitamin D3 supplementation in healthy Chinese: a 5-arm randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
Eur J Nutr. 2015 Feb 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Yao P1, Lu L, Hu Y, Liu G, Chen X, Sun L, Ye X, Zheng H, Chen Y, Hu FB, Li H, Lin X.
To determine the dose-response of vitamin D3 supplementation on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] among Chinese adults.
In this 5-arm, randomized, double-blinded controlled trial, 76 healthy participants were assigned to orally administrate 0, 400, 800, 1200 or 2000 IU/d of vitamin D3 for 16 weeks. Serum 25(OH)D, parathyroid hormone, calcium, biomarkers of liver and renal function were measured at multiple time points.
The mean (SD) serum 25(OH)D at baseline was 31.6 (8.7) nmol/L, and the dose-response relationship was curvilinear with a plateau around 6 weeks for all doses. At week 16, 25(OH)D was increased by 6.0 (6.5), 21.7 (15.8), 26.3 (12.6), 32.0 (12.8) and 36.3 (26.0) nmol/L for 0, 400, 800, 1200 and 2000 IU/d (all P ≤ 0.002), corresponding to approximately 19, 53, 67, 77 and 80 % of reversion of vitamin D deficiency, respectively.
Daily intake of 800 IU vitamin D3 reached a targeted 25(OH)D ≥ 30 nmol/L in at least 97.5 % of Chinese, but not a targeted 25(OH)D ≥ 50 nmol/L even with 2000 IU/d. Change of 25(OH)D was inversely associated with change of PTH concentration (r = -0.39, P < 0.001) after controlling for age and sex. No between-group differences were observed in terms of the change in serum calcium, alanine transaminase, aspartate aminotransferase, gamma-glutamyltransferase and creatinine (P ≥ 0.22).
Supplementation with 400, 800, 1200 or 2000 IU/d vitamin D could improve the vitamin D deficiency with various degrees. Whether 2000 IU/d vitamin D3 would generate a better result without side effect requires more studies with larger samples in future.
PMID: 25694350 DOI: 10.1007/s00394-015-0859-4 publisher wants $40 for the PDF
- Overview Vitamin D Dose-Response
- Vitamin D deficiency in China – only 1 in 18 have even 30 ng, fewer if young or female – Feb 2015
- Orient category listing has
37 items along with related searches
- Search VitaminDWiki for (CHINA OR CHINESE OR BEIJING) 951 items as of Nov 2016
- Beijing extremely vitamin D deficient even in the fall: 10 ng – April 2013
- NONE of the pregnant Beijing women had adequate levels of vitamin D – April 2013
- Chinese have very low vitamin D - July 2013
- Virtually all Chinese teens at 30 degree N have less than 30 ng of vitamin D – Feb 2012