Table of contents
- Vitamin D Protects against Traumatic Brain Injury via Modulating TLR4/MyD88/NF- κ B Pathway-Mediated Microglial Polarization and Neuroinflammation - July 2022
- 21+ VitaminDWiki pages with "Traumatic Brain Injury OR TBI" in the title
- TBI while in ICU: a single dose of 120,000 IU helped a lot - RCT March 2020
- 17,200 results for search of "Traumatic brain injury" ("Vitamin D" OR Omega-3)
- VitaminDWiki founder has kept emergency vitamin D in all vehicles since 2017
331 items in – Trauma and surgery category:
- TBI ==> 7X more Substance Abuse in US soldiers - Aug 2023
- The Standard Advice for Concussions Is Wrong (therapy does actually help) - Oct 2023
- $500,000 study to reduce use of Opioids for TBI Headache (igoring Vitamin D, etc.) Aug 2023
- There have been
17750 visits to this page
Vitamin D Protects against Traumatic Brain Injury via Modulating TLR4/MyD88/NF- κ B Pathway-Mediated Microglial Polarization and Neuroinflammation - July 2022
Biomed Res Int. 2022 Jul 15;2022:3363036. doi: 10.1155/2022/3363036. eCollection 2022.
Hongsheng Jiang 1, Xinyu Yang 2, Yanzhou Wang 1, Caifeng Zhou 1
Vitamin D (VD) deficiency is associated with neuroinflammation and neurocognitive deficits in patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI). The present study was aimed at investigating the therapeutic effects of VD and the molecular mechanisms after TBI. After the intraperitoneal injection of VD (1 µg/kg), sensorimotor and cognitive function was assessed via a series of behavioral tests in TBI rats. Traumatic outcomes were investigated by brain edema, blood-brain barrier (BBB) disruption, and morphologic staining. In vitro, cellular viability and cytotoxicity in primary hippocampal neurons were detected via the MTT method and LDH release. Hippocampal oxidative stress-related enzymes and proinflammatory mediators and the serum concentration of VD were analyzed by ELISA. The expression of VDR, TLR4, MyD88, and NF-κ B p65 was measured by Western blot. Furthermore, the levels of M1/M2 microglial markers were quantified using real-time PCR and Western blot. VD treatment significantly increased the serum level of VD and the hippocampal expression of VDR.
VD not only effectively alleviated neurocognitive deficits, brain edema, and BBB disruption but also promoted hippocampal neuronal survival in vivo and in vitro. Moreover, VD therapy prevented excessive neuroinflammation and oxidative stress caused by TBI. Mechanically, the hippocampal expression of TLR4, MyD88, and nuclear NF-κ B p65 was elevated in the TBI group but robustly restrained by VD treatment. Taken together, VD provides an important neuroprotection through modulating hippocampal microglial M2 polarization and neuroinflammation via the TLR4/MyD88/NF-κ B pathway.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
This list is automatcially updatedItems found: 21
- Neuroprotective Role of Oral Vitamin D Supplementation on Consciousness and Inflammatory Biomarkers in Determining Severity Outcome in Acute Traumatic Brain Injury Patients: A Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Trial
Google Scholar Feb 2024
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids alleviate early brain injury after traumatic brain injury by inhibiting neuroinflammation and necroptosis - March 2023 https://doi.org/10.1515/tnsci-2022-0277 FREE PDF
- Optimal vitamin D level ameliorates neurological outcome and quality of life after traumatic brain injury: a clinical perspective - Sep 2021 https://doi.org/10.1080/00207454.2021.1924706 Behind paywall
- The More, the Better: High-Dose Omega-3 Fatty Acids Improve Behavioural and Molecular Outcomes in Preclinical Models in Mild Brain Injury - July 2021 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-021-01132-z FREE PDF
- Chapter 10 - Vitamin D level and the outcome after traumatic brain injury - 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-89835-5.00009-0 PDF is behind a paywall
- Paucity of vitamin D significantly affects the consequences of a brain injury. Deficiency of vitamin D along with traumatic brain injury (TBI) elevates the risk of severity of the injury. This possibly affects the therapeutic regimen prescribed for TBI which may have a negative effect on its outcome. Pre-clinical trials suggested that the levels of vitamin D influence the recovery and outcome after a TBI. Vitamin D deficiency has been found to cause more deterioration in patients with severe TBI than in the ones with mild TBI. This clearly validates the necessity of screening the levels of vitamin D in neural deficit in order to reduce the risk of morbidity, neurocognitive disorders, osteomalacia, and cardiovascular disease. This review focuses on the incidence of vitamin D deficiency in TBI and how it affects the recovery and subsequent quality of life of the patient.
- The Effect of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Recovery from Traumatic Brain Injury - Dec 2019 PHD Dissertation
331 items in – Trauma and surgery category: Trauma and Surgery category has 331 articles
Large dose Vitamin D before surgery was found to help by 35 studies
Vitamin D is needed before most surgeries – many studies and RCTs
4.8 X more likely to die within 28 days of ICU if low Vitamin D - Jan 2024
Sepsis is both prevented and treated by Vitamin D - many studies
Thyroidectomy and Vitamin D - many studies
Orthopaedic surgeries need Vitamin D – many studies
Cancer - After diagnosis chemotherapy
TBI OR "Traumatic Brain Injury - 21 in title as of Sept 2022
Superbug (Clostridium difficile) Infections strongly associated with low vitamin D - many studies
Glutamine and Omega-3 have also been proven to help several traumas/surgeries
Note: Vitamin D also prevents the need for various surgeries and Omega-3 prevents many concussions/TBI
Trauma and Surgery is associated with 22 other VitaminDWiki categories
Such as loading dose 33, Mortality 23, Infant-Child 21 Intervention 19 Cardiovascular 13, Injection 13 in Sept 2022
- "But the sharpest difference was the increase in substance use disorder among those with TBI, which rose 100% compared with a 14.5% increase in solders with no history of TBI."
- "The statistic of 3.8 million Americans a year gets bandied about, sometimes linked to mild head injuries from sports and other times to brain injuries of all kinds. Falls, recreational activities, car crashes, and domestic violence all can cause head trauma."
- "Six months after falling off the horse, my final, lingering symptom—the feeling of pressure in my head when I’d been working for too long—went away. I recovered but was left wondering why it had taken so much time for me to be routed to the care that I needed. I’ll never know if I would have gotten better without it, but I suspect recovery would have, at the very least, taken much longer. Why had I—a patient with a brain injury—been the one sifting through scientific papers and online support groups rather than getting these referrals from my doctor? In our American health-care system, many patients are expected to be their own advocates, but in this case, when a better, clearer path to recovery is so well established, it seems like that should have been unnecessary."
- Consensus statement on concussion in sport - June 2023 https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2023-106898 FREE PDF
- Update on Non-Pharmacological Interventions for Treatment of Post-Traumatic Headache - Oct 2022 https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci12101357 FREE PDF
- Evaluation of current post-concussion protocols - Sept 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2020.110406 FREE PDF
- ...Antioxidants, certain B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, progesterone,...
- Racial Differences in Head Pain and Other Pain-Related Outcomes After Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Aug 2023 https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2022.0415
- more pain in A-A (dark skin is associated with lower vitamin D)
There have been
17750 visits to this pageTraumatic Brain Injury treated by Vitamin D - many studies 8480 visitors, last modified 12 Feb, 2024,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Uploaded Size Downloads 19761 TBI RCT.jpg admin 07 Jul, 2023 53.93 Kb 237 19760 Vit D TBI RCT_CompressPdf.pdf admin 07 Jul, 2023 184.16 Kb 146 18182 how treat TBI_CompressPdf.pdf admin 25 Jul, 2022 509.39 Kb 245 18181 VDR TBI.jpg admin 25 Jul, 2022 32.92 Kb 473 18180 D drops aft TBI.jpg admin 25 Jul, 2022 38.84 Kb 599