Conflicts of Interest Rampant Among FDA Advisors, Study Shows Mercola Sept 2014
- 1,400 FDA advisory committee members
- 15,740 votes between 1997 and 2011.
- 13% had financial interest in the company whose drug was up for a review by that committee.
1/3 of financial interests involved consulting for a drug maker
25% involved ownership interest;
14 % involved serving on an industry advisory board or steering committee.
- Committee members with financial ties to the company sponsoring the drug under review voted for it 63% of the time,
no financial ties: 52% voted for it.
- Committee members who served on a sponsoring firm's advisory board: 84% voted in favour of the drug's approval.
- Why FDA would allow any of their voting advisors to have financial interest in the drug
- Why FDA would ever allow their voting advisors to also advisie the drug company