Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2019 Jan 23;29:111-117. doi: 10.1016/j.msard.2019.01.029.
Kotb MA1, Kamal AM2, Aldossary NM3, Bedewi MA3.
Note: Getting a lot more Vitamin D actually cures MS
- Comparing High-dose vitamin D therapies
- Overview MS and vitamin D
- Multiple Sclerosis and (lots of) Vitamin D - book by patient on Coimbra protocol - Feb 2016
Intervention of Vitamin D for Depression
- Depression in psychiatric youths reduced 28 percent after just 1 month of vitamin D – RCT Feb 2020
- Yet another study confirms Depression is treated by weekly Vitamin D – RCT Dec 2019
- Depression decreased after vitamin D (50,000 IU weekly to elderly in the case) – RCT Oct 2019
- Vitamin D - no cure for depression (when you use only 1200 IU) – Aug 2019
- Depression reduced in Diabetics with 3 months of 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT July 2019
- Vitamin D treatment of diabetes (50,000 IU every 2 weeks) augmented by probiotic – RCT June 2018
- Women had better sexual desire, orgasm and satisfaction after Vitamin D supplementation – Feb 2018
- Vitamin D depression RCT canceled: too many were taking Vitamin D supplements, etc. Feb 2018
- Depression in adolescent girls reduced somewhat by 50,000 IU weekly for 9 weeks – July 2017
- Perinatal depression decreased 40 percent with just a few weeks of 2,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Aug 2016
- Just 1500 IU of Vitamin D significantly helps Prozac – RCT March 2013
- Reduced depression with single 300,000 IU injection of vitamin D – RCT June 2013
- 40,000 IU vitamin D weekly reduced depression in many obese subjects – RCT 2008
- 50,000 IU Vitamin D weekly Improves Mood, Lowers Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetics – Oct 2013
Meta-analyses of Vitamin D and Depression
- Mental disorders fought by Omega-3 etc. - meta-meta-analysis Oct 2019
- Depression less likely if more Vitamin D (12 percent per 10 ng) – meta-analysis July 2019
- Anxiety severity reduced if more than 2 grams of Omega-3 – meta-analysis Sept 2018
- Less depression in seniors taking enough Omega-3 – meta-analysis July 2018
- Unipolar depression treated by Omega-3, Zinc, and probably Vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2017
- Depression is associated with low Magnesium – meta-analysis April 2015
- Clinical Trials of vitamin D can have “biological flaws” – Jan 2015
- Slight depression not reduced by adding vitamin D if already had enough (no surprise) – meta-analysis – Nov 2014
- Anti-depression medication about as good as big increase in vitamin D – meta-analysis of flawless data April 2014
- Depression might be reduced by vitamin D – meta-analysis March 2014
- Low vitamin D and depression - Study and meta-analysis, April 2013
- 2X more likely to be depressed if low vitamin D (cohort studies) - Meta-analysis Jan 2013
Download the PDF from Sci-Hub via VitaminDWiki
MS Depression - baseline
MS Depression after 8 months (note the change of scales)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic demyelinating disease of the central nervous system. Depression is common among MS patients. In patients without MS, lower vitamin D levels were associated with higher depression scores and severity. Supplementation of vitamin D was associated with significant improvement of depressive symptoms.
OBJECTIVE: to evaluate the relation between vitamin D levels and depression scores, and the effect of vitamin D replacement on the depressive symptoms in patients with MS.
The study included 35 patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. Neurological, psychiatric, and radiological evaluations were done. Participants received 10,000 IU of cholecalciferol daily for 12 months.
Vitamin D level was low at baseline. Depressive symptoms were high at baseline and improved with vitamin D replacement although, Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score was not improving. Vitamin D levels correlated negatively with depressive symptoms at baseline and follow up periods.
Lower vitamin D levels are associated with higher depressive scores, and vitamin D replacement could improve depressive symptoms in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis.
|1165 visitors, last modified 03 Feb, 2019,
|11326||MS depression.jpg||admin 03 Feb, 2019 14:04||40.23 Kb||221|
|11325||Depression 8 months.jpg||admin 03 Feb, 2019 14:03||30.75 Kb||186|
|11324||Depression baseline.jpg||admin 03 Feb, 2019 14:03||31.34 Kb||184|
|11323||Depression MS.pdf||PDF 2019||admin 03 Feb, 2019 14:03||800.85 Kb||167|