J Epidemiol Community Health. 2018 Apr 30. pii: jech-2017-209887. doi: 10.1136/jech-2017-209887. [Epub ahead of print]
Dunneram Y1, Greenwood DC2, Burley VJ1, Cade JE1.
- I use Vectomega brand of Omega-3 – Admin of VitaminDWiki, May 2014
- Happy Nurses Project gave Omega-3 for 3 months – reduced depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc for a year – RCT July 2018
- Omega-3 – fewer than 5 percent of adult women get the RDA – April 2018
- Typical pregnancy is now 39 weeks – Omega-3 and Vitamin D might restore it to full 40 weeks
- Risk of early menopause reduced 17 percent by a modest amount of vitamin D – May 2017
- An increase in Vitamin D and/or Omega-3 reduces many health problems
Age at natural menopause is a matter of concern for women of reproductive age as both an early or late menopause may have implications for health outcomes.
Study participants were women aged 40-65 years who had experienced a natural menopause from the UK Women's Cohort Study between baseline and first follow-up. Natural menopause was defined as the permanent cessation of menstrual periods for at least 12 consecutive months. A food frequency questionnaire was used to estimate diet at baseline. Reproductive history of participants was also recorded. Regression modelling, adjusting for confounders, was used to assess associations between diet and age at natural menopause.
During the 4-year follow-up period, 914 women experienced a natural menopause. A high intake of oily fish and fresh legumes were associated with delayed onset of natural menopause by 3.3 years per portion/day (99% CI 0.8 to 5.8) and 0.9 years per portion/day (99% CI 0.0 to 1.8), respectively.
Refined pasta and rice was associated with earlier menopause (per portion/day: -1.5 years, 99% CI -2.8 to -0.2). A higher intake of vitamin B6 (per mg/day: 0.6 years, 99% CI 0.1 to 1.2) and zinc (per mg/day: 0.3 years, 99% CI -0.0 to 0.6) was also associated with later age at menopause. Stratification by age at baseline led to attenuated results.
Our results suggest that some food groups (oily fish, fresh legumes, refined pasta and rice) and specific nutrients are individually predictive of age at natural menopause.