Study: Adults with diabetes more prone to dementia Sept 2011
For 11 years, Japanese researchers followed more than 1,000 people, ages 60 and older.
They found that those with diabetes at the outset were 35 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer's.
Those with the most severe diabetes had more than triple the risk.
Deficiency of Vitamin D has the following graph
Diabetes is in a vicious circle with vitamin D.
Low vitamin D increases diabetes, and diabetes decreased vitamin D even more.
Vitamin D spirals lower and lower
Overview Cognition and vitamin D
- Cognitive decline, dementia, and Alzheimer's Disease are all associated with low vitamin D levels.
- Risk of cognitive decline 50 percent higher if <15 ng vitamin D – Aug 2011
- Cognition and vitamin D - Review 2009.PDF a file, not a web page
- Hypothesis - Vitamin D reduce risk of Dementia - 2009 by Grant - a file, not a web page
- Is there evidence for vitamin D and Cognition - 2010
- Vitamin D might might reduce dementia – Mar 2011
- Elderly often trapped in vitamin D vicious circles
- Do Vitamin D Deficiency and Cognitive Decline Go Hand-in-Hand? – Jan 2010
- Cognitive impairment 4X more likely when vitamin D less than 10 ng – Nov 2010
- Vitamin D less than 10ng associated with cognitive decline – July 2010
- Risk of cognitive decline 50 percent higher if low amount of vitamin D – Aug 2011
- Low Vitamin D Levels Associated With Increased Risk for Cognitive Impairment - July 2010
- Vitamin D and Risk of Cognitive Decline in Elderly Persons – June 2011
- Influence diagram for vitamin D and cognition - 2008
Toward a Theory of Vitamin D Disease Associations includes the following Sept 2011
List of associations seen recently ( more to be in future versions of this page)
- Parkinson's ==> osteoporosis
- Skin wrinkles ==>fragile bones
- Dental problems==> depression (pregnancy)
- Smoking ==> weak bones
- Prostate Cancer ==> Osteoporosis
- No molar ==> 12X increase in Breast Cancer
- Psorasis ==> Metabolic Syndrome on the web
- Watching TV or reading books ==> myopia
- Lung cancer ==>
- HIV ==>
- Diabetes ==> Depression
- Surgery ==>cognitive problems which last for many months
- Disease ==> Insomnia
- Several diseases now associated with aging (but may be due to low vitamin D) ==>cognitive decline
More on Alzheimer's diabetes from Overview Cognition and vitamin D as of Sept 2012
- Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes? New York Times Sept 2012]
Idea has been around since 2005. Brain cells become insulin resistant - first noticed by Dr. Alzheimer
people with diabetes are at least twice as likely to get Alzheimer’s
Dr.Oz on same insulin and Alzheimer's April 2011
- PubMed Alzheimer's AND Insulin in title 79 items as of Sept 2012
Consequences of Aberrant Insulin Regulation in the Brain: Can Treating Diabetes be Effective for Alzheimer's Disease Dec 2011 full text online
Brain insulin signaling and Alzheimer's disease: current evidence and future directions Aug 2012 full text online
short url = http://is.gd/dcognition