Notes on what might be added to Overview of VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D levels have fallen a lot in recent decades with people indoors more.
and reductions of vitamin D in food and reductions in Omega-3 and Magnesium
- Now many people are deficient, which leads to increased health problems
- No one size dose of Vitamin D is best for everyone
A basic dose of 4,000 IU daily or 50,000 IU every two weeks for a healthy adult.
(I happen to take 10,000 IU daily and have 100 nanogram/mL vitamin D level)
- More if obese, dark skin, senior, ill, pregnant, having surgery . . . . .
- More to have a chance of treating a health problem– Multiple Sclerosis is a good example
- More if have a vitamin D related health problem, and you which to prevent additional problems
- More if health problem runs in family, since genes decrease benefit of vitamin D
- Daily dosing is probably best – but dosing once per 2 weeks seems perfectly OK,
and costs only about 2 cents per day
- Can put vitamin D doses which you should take in a monthly container
No need to worry if you have forgotten to take some doses - just finish the amount by end of month
- Take with largest meal of the day (longest time to stay in the gut to be adsorbed)
- Many different forms are available: pill, powder, liquid, spray, topical, vegan, Halal, Kosher, etc.
- There are hundreds of suppliers of Vitamin D on the internet.
- Huge contention as to which vitamin D level is best: 20, 30, 40, 50, 80, 100, 150 nanograms/milliter
- Cofactors, such as Magnesium, Omega-3, Vitamin K2, are desired,
andare required if Vitamin D level is greater than about 35 nanograms/mL.
- An initial larger dose of vitamin D, such as 200,000 to 400,000 IU will give you a much faster responce - days instead of months.
A loading dose is especially needed if:you
are pregnant, have scheduled surgery, have medical emergency,
you want to feel the benefit before you stop taking the vitamin D in a few months
- Loading dose needs to followed up with maintenance dosing - probably for the rest of your life
No worry about toxicity of Loading Doses - over 10,000,000 loading doses have been given without problems
- Toxicity is extremely rare
- Hundreds of intervention trials and randomized controlled trials have proven the benefits of vitamin D
- Avoid Vitamin D2 - it should not be given to any mammal, but doctors continue to prescribe it.
- Test results differences of 5 ng do not matter - e.g. anything in 40-50 nanogram/mL:range is fine
Green arrow at lower right shows pages linked to this page