Susceptibility to dengue hemorrhagic fever in vietnam: evidence of an association with variation in the vitamin d receptor and Fc gamma receptor IIa genes.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2002 Jul;67(1):102-6.
Loke H1, Bethell D, Phuong CX, Day N, White N, Farrar J, Hill A.
Dengue is an increasingly important cause of morbidity and mortality in the tropics, with more than a billion people at risk each year. Immunologic enhancement is thought to contribute to disease pathogenesis. Only a very small proportion of infected individuals develop life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF). In a large case-control study with 400 DHF patients and 300 matched controls, we have assessed five polymorphic non-HLA host genetic factors that might influence susceptibility to DHF. The less frequent t allele of a variant at position 352 of the vitamin D receptor (VDR) gene was associated with resistance to severe dengue (P = 0.03). Homozygotes for the arginine variant at position 131 of the Fc gammaRIIA gene, who have less capacity to opsonize IgG2 antibodies, may also be protected from DHF (one-tailed P = 0.03). No associations were found with polymorphisms in the mannose binding lectin, interleukin-1 (IL-4), and IL-1 receptor antagonist genes. Further studies to confirm these associations are warranted.
Google Scholar – this study was cited by 158 subsequent studies as of April 2016
- Prevent Zika birth defects with Vitamin D
- All items in category Virus
- How to significantly reduce your risk of contracting the Zika virus
- Vitamin D can inhibit enveloped virus (e.g. Corona, Herpes, Zoster, Epstein, Hepatitis, Ebola) – March 2011 also Zika, Dengue
- Four antiviral strategies – includes vitamin D – Vasquez Dec 2014
- Dengue fever - 8X higher risk for getting worse if low vitamin D – Sept 2017
- Vitamin D Receptor category listing has
404 items along with related searches
The items in both Immunity and Vitamin D Receptor categories here:
Dengue Fever associated with poor vitamin D receptor – July 2002
- Infant and child immunity depends on Vitamin D and two Vitamin D genes – Review April 2020
- Vitamin D Receptor, the gut, the immune system, and the Middle East – May 2019
- MRSA Carriers not helped by 4,000 IU of Vitamin D (probably poor Vitamin D Receptor) – RCT Sept 2018
- Resveratrol improves health (Vitamin D receptor, etc.)
- Inflammation and immune responses to Vitamin D (perhaps need to measure active vitamin D) – July 2017
- Immune system is aided by red grapes, blueberries, both of which increase Vitamin D receptor – 2013
- Progesterone activates vitamin D receptor - many studies
- Liver and interactions with vitamin D deficiency - Review July 2013
- The vitamin D receptor and T cell function – June 2013
3736 visitors, last modified 15 Sep, 2017,