Cell Biol Int. 2017 Jun 19. doi: 10.1002/cbin.10806. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vitamin D and Omega-3 have separately been found to help many diseases
- This is one of the rare studies which actually got around to trying both – and found a synergistic benefit
- Overview: Omega-3 many benefits include helping vitamin D
- Vitamin D monotherapy is good, Vitamin D multitherapy is great
- Vitamin D use increased 3.7 X, Omega-3 increased 9 X (US 1999-2012) – JAMA Oct 2016
- Hypothesis – anticancer benefits from synergy of omega-3 and vitamin D – May 2011
- Omega-3 prevents and treats several cancers – Sept 2017
All items in both categories Breast Cancer and Omega-3 are listed here:
- 2.5 X reduced risk of cancer in 70 year-olds by a small amount of Vitamin D, Omega-3 and exercise – RCT April 2022
- Omega-3 Reduces risk of Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer reduced 20 percent by fish (Omega-3) – meta-analysis Feb 2019
- Breast Cancer rate reduced by 40 percent with Omega-3 – meta-analysis June 2013
- Breast cancer and Omega-3 – perhaps prevention and augment treatment – Aug 2017
- Breast cancer cells killed synergistically by Vitamin D plus Omega-3 (lab) – June 2017
Yang J1,2, Zhu S1,2, Lin G1,2, Song C1,2, He Z1,2,3.
- 1 State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, School of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122, China.
- 2 Synergistic Innovation Center for Food Safety and Nutrition, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122, China.
- 3 School of Medicine, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122, China.
Breast cancer is a leading type of cancer in women and generally classified into three subtypes of ER+ /PR+ , HER2+ and triple negative. Both omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin D3 play positive role in the reduction of breast cancer incidence. However, whether combination of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin D3 has stronger protective effect on breast carcinogenesis still remains unknown. In this study, we show that the combination of ω-3 free fatty acids (ω-3 FFAs) and 1α, 25-dihydroxy-vitamin D3 (VD3 ) dramatically enhances cell apoptosis among three subtypes of breast cancer cell lines. Bcl-2 and total PARP protein levels are decreased in combined treatment MCF-7 and SK-BR-3 cells. Caspase signals play a vital role in cell apoptosis induced by combination. Moreover, Raf-MAPK signaling pathway is involved in the apoptosis induction by combination of ω-3 FFAs+VD3 . These results demonstrate that the induction of cell apoptosis by combined treatment is dependent on different signaling pathways in three subtypes of breast cancer cell lines.
PMID: 28627723 DOI: 10.1002/cbin.10806
Was on Sci-Hub.tv March 2018