Br J Dermatol. 2010 Nov 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2010.10147.x.
Peroni DG, Piacentini GL, Cametti E, Chinellato I, Boner AL.
Department of Paediatrics, University of Verona, Verona, Italy.
Background: ? Vitamin D deficiency could be associated with the prevalence of atopic dermatitis (AD). We carried out a study to see whether deficient/insufficient levels of vitamin D correlate with the severity of atopic skin disease. Methods:? Using the SCORAD index, we evaluated the severity of disease in thirty-seven children (18 males) between 8 months and 12 years of age with AD, consecutively enrolled in the study. 25 hydroxyvitamin D serum levels were determined by a chemiluminescent method. Specific immunoglobulin E (sIgE) to Sthaphylococcus aureus enterotoxins and Malassezia furfur were assayed by the ImmunoCAP system. ANOVA and the Pearson correlation test were used for statistical evaluation.
Results:? We found severe, moderate and mild AD in 9 (24%), 13 (35%) and 15 (41%) children, respectively. Mean 25 hydroxyvitamin D serum levels were significantly higher (p<0.05) in patients with mild disease (36.9±15.7 ng/ml) compared to those with moderate (27.5±8.3 ng/ml) or severe AD (20.5±5.9 ng/ml) conditions. The prevalence of patients with sIgE to microbial antigens increased in relation to vitamin D deficiency and AD severity.
Conclusion:? These data suggest that vitamin D deficiency may be related to the severity of atopic dermatitis and advocate the need for studies evaluating the use of vitamin D as a potential treatment in patients with this disease.
Copyright © 2010 British Association of Dermatologists. PMID: 21087229
– – – – –
A type of eczema: Severe 20 ng, Moderate 27 ng, Mild 37 ng
Atopic Dermatitis Overview in VitaminDWiki
Inflamation AND Skin in VitaminDWiki
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) treated by 1,600 IU Vitamin D (again) – Meta-analysis Aug 2019
- Increased risk of atopic dermatitis with low vitamin D during pregnancy perhaps due to poor methylation – Oct 2018
- Atopic dermatitis treated by Vitamin D (in dogs too) - RCT Feb 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) treated by 1600 IU of vitamin D – meta-analysis Dec 2016
- Atopic Eczema might be helped by Vitamin D – Review May 2015
- Dermatologists still not convienced that Vitamin D reduces atopic dermatitis – Review Dec 2013
- Eczema 25 percent more likely if low vitamin D– July 2013
- Atopic dermatitis dramatically reduced in Iran with 1600 IU of vitamin D – RCT March 2012
- Atopic Dermatitis and Eczema - many studies
- Atopic dermatitis worse for those with low vitamin D – Nov 2010