- Post-hoc Analysis of NICHD Vitamin D Pregnancy Cohort and The Role of Functional Vitamin D Deficiency in Pregnancy
- VitaminDWiki pages with PRE-TERM etc in title (116 as of May 2023)
- VitaminDWiki - Pregnancy category contains
- VitaminDWiki - Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D contains
- Rick of Preterm Birth increases about 1% for each excess degree increase in temperature - Aug 2023
Post-hoc Analysis of NICHD Vitamin D Pregnancy Cohort and The Role of Functional Vitamin D Deficiency in Pregnancy
Am J Perinatol. 2023 May 22. doi: 10.1055/a-2097-2098 PDF is behind paywall
Shellie Davis 1, Elliott Lyles 2, Judy Shary 3, Myla Ebeling 4, Susan G Reed 1, John E Baatz 1, Bruce W Hollis 3, Carol L Wagner 1
Objective: Conduct a secondary, post-hoc analysis of NICHD vitamin D (vitD) pregnancy study by Hollis et al. (Hollis, 2011), which reported on the effect of vitD supplementation in pregnant women; and determine the potential interaction between intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) concentrations, vitD status, and various comorbidities associated with pregnancy.
Hypothesis: Women with low 25(OH)D concentrations and high iPTH concentrations during pregnancy, known as functional vitD deficiency (FVDD), were more likely to acquire complications also affecting their neonates.
Study design: This post-hoc analysis of data collected from a diverse group of pregnant women participating in the NICHD vitD pregnancy study, was applied to investigate the applicability of the concept of FVDD in pregnancy (Hemmingway, 2018) in identifying potential risks for certain comorbidities of pregnancy. This analysis defines FVDD as maternal serum 25(OH)D concentrations below 20 ng/mL and iPTH concentrations above 65 pg/mL creating a definitive ratio number, 0.308, to classify mothers as having FVDD prior to delivery (PTD). Statistical analyses were performed using SAS 9.4 (Cary, NC).
Results: 281 women (85 African American, 115 Hispanic, 81 Caucasian) with 25(OH)D and iPTH concentrations measured at monthly visits were included in this analysis. No statistically significant association was found between mothers classified as having FVDD at baseline or one-month PTD and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, infection, or admittance to the NICU. When combining all comorbidities of pregnancy in this cohort, results showed those with FVDD at baseline, 24 weeks' gestation, and one-month PTD were more likely to experience a comorbidity (p=0.001; p=0.001; p=0.004, respectively).
Those with FVDD one-month PTD were 7.1 times (CI 1.71-29.81) more likely to have preterm birth (<37 weeks) than women without FVDD.
Conclusions: Participants were more likely to have experienced preterm birth if they met the criteria for FVDD. This study supports the importance of FVDD during pregnancy.
This list is automatically updated
VitaminDWiki - Pregnancy category contains
- see also
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D
- Number of articles in both categories of Pregnancy and:Dark Skin
27 ; Depression 21 ; Diabetes 43 ; Obesity 15 ; Hypertension 43 ; Breathing 33 ; Omega-3 39 ; Vitamin D Receptor 24 Click here for details
- All items in category Infant/Child
- Pregnancy needs at least 40 ng of vitamin D, achieved by at least 4,000 IU – Hollis Aug 2017
- 38+ papers with Breastfed etc, in the title
- Call to action – more Vitamin D for pregnancies, loading doses are OK – Holick Aug 2019
- 53+ preeclampsia studies
- 94+ studies with PRETERM in the title
- "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS 303 items as of Jan 2018
- 94+ Gestational Diabetes
- c-section OR "caesarean section" (various spellings) 937 items in text as of Aug 2020
- postpartum depression 208 items as of Aug 2018
- 31 VitaminDWiki pages had MISCARRIAGE in title as of Aug 2022
- Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 33 items as of Aug 2022
- Fertility and Sperm category listing has
131 items along with related searches
- (Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW) 1180 items as of June 2020
- Less labor pain if higher level of vitamin D – August 2021
- Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D
- Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
VitaminDWiki - Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D containsProblem
Reduces Evidence 0. Chance of not conceiving 3.4 times Observe 1. Miscarriage 2.5 times Observe 2. Pre-eclampsia 3.6 times RCT 3. Gestational Diabetes 3 times RCT 4. Good 2nd trimester sleep quality 3.5 times Observe 5. Premature birth 2 times RCT 6. C-section - unplanned 1.6 times Observe Stillbirth - OMEGA-3 4 times RCT - Omega-3 7. Depression AFTER pregnancy 1.4 times RCT 8. Small for Gestational Age 1.6 times meta-analysis 9. Infant height, weight, head size
within normal limits
RCT 10. Childhood Wheezing 1.3 times RCT 11. Additional child is Autistic 4 times Intervention 12.Young adult Multiple Sclerosis 1.9 times Observe 13. Preeclampsia in young adult 3.5 times RCT 14. Good motor skills @ age 3 1.4 times Observe 15. Childhood Mite allergy 5 times RCT 16. Childhood Respiratory Tract visits 2.5 times RCT
RCT = Randomized Controlled Trial
Extreme Heat Threatens the Health of Unborn Babies Wired Magazine
- Previously noticed in livestock studies
- Stillbirth increase by 40% if moderate heat stress (32 degrees Celsius) in the last two weeks of pregnancy.
- All items in category Infant/Child