Pediatrics. 2014 Feb 10.
Natarajan CK1, Sankar MJ, Agarwal R, Pratap OT, Jain V, Gupta N, Gupta AK, Deorari AK, Paul VK, Sreenivas V.
To compare the effect of 800 vs 400 IU of daily oral vitamin D3 on the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency (VDD) at 40 weeks' postmenstrual age (PMA) in preterm infants of 28 to 34 weeks' gestation.
In this randomized double-blind trial, we allocated eligible infants to receive either 800 or 400 IU of vitamin D3 per day (n = 48 in both groups). Primary outcome was VDD (serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <20 ng/mL) at 40 weeks' PMA. Secondary outcomes were VDD, bone mineral content, and bone mineral density at 3 months' corrected age (CA).
Prevalence of VDD in the 800-IU group was significantly lower than in the 400-IU group at 40 weeks (38.1% vs 66.7%; relative risk: 0.57; 95% confidence interval: 0.37-0.88) and at 3 months' CA (12.5% vs 35%; relative risk: 0.36; 95% confidence interval: 0.14-0.90). One infant (2.4%) in the 800-IU group had vitamin D excess (100-150 ng/mL). Bone mineral content (mean ± SD: 79.6 ± 16.8 vs 84.7 ± 20.7 g; P = .27) and bone mineral density (0.152 ± 0.019 vs 0.158 ± 0.021 g/cm2; P = .26) were not different between the 2 groups.
Daily supplementation with 800 IU of vitamin D reduces the prevalence of VDD at 40 weeks' PMA and at 3 months' CA in preterm infants without showing any improvement in bone mineralization. However, there is a possibility that this dose may occasionally result in vitamin D excess.
- 2000 IU of vitamin D should improve toddlers health in winter – RCT almost completed Feb 2014
- 800 IU vitamin D for infant and 2000 IU for mother is good, not great – RCT Dec 2013
- 1600 IU vitamin D safe for infants – RCT Nov 2102
- Infants in France and Finland need 1000 IU of vitamin D, but apparently infants in US need only 400 - 2013
- Third study found that Infants needed 1600 IU of vitamin D – JAMA RCT May 2013
- Infant-Child category listing has
791 items along with related searches
- in the 1960's Finland gave 2,000 IU to infants, and no problem seen even 35 years laterTitle change made June 2021 caused the visitor count to reset.
There have actually been
4917 visitors to this page since it was originally made