The possible roles of solar ultraviolet-B radiation and vitamin D in reducing case-fatality rates from the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic in the United States.
Dermatoendocrinol. 2009 Jul;1(4):215-9.
Grant WB, Giovannucci E.
Deaths during the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic have been linked to both the influenza virus and secondary bacterial lung infections. Case fatality rates and percentage of influenza cases complicated by pneumonia were available from survey data for twelve United States locations in the 1918-1919 pandemic. This study analyzes case fatality rates and cases complicated by pneumonia with respect to estimated summertime and wintertime solar ultraviolet-B (UVB) doses as indicators of population mean vitamin D status. Substantial correlations were found for associations of July UVB dose with case fatality rates (r = -0.72, p = 0.009) and rates of pneumonia as a complication of influenza (r = -0.77, p = 0.005). Similar results were found for wintertime UVB. Vitamin D upregulates production of human cathelicidin, LL-37, which has both antimicrobial and antiendotoxin activities. Vitamin D also reduces the production of proinflammatory cytokines, which could also explain some of the benefit of vitamin D since H1N1 infection gives rise to a cytokine storm. The potential role of vitamin D status in reducing secondary bacterial infections and loss of life in pandemic influence requires further evaluation. PMID: 20592793
CLICK HERE for PDF of 2010
155 citations on Google Scholar as of Aug 2021
Surgeon General of Mass in 1918 noticed that infected people getting more sunlight had a better outcome
They had set up overflow tents outside of the hospital
CLICK HERE for PDF from 1918
See also VitaminDWiki
- Viral infection reduced 90 percent with 2000 IU of vitamin D – Dec 2010
- Overview Influenza and vitamin D
- Influenza prevented by 40 ng levels or treated with vitamin D hammer (50,000 IU) – June 2015
- US COVID-19 deaths now exceed 1918 flu, soon AIDS (Vitamin D fights all 3) - Sept 19, 2021
COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
- As of March 25, 2022, the VitaminDWiki COVID page had: 19 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 126 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (March 2023) Cost to prevent a COVID death: 11 dollars of Vitamin D - Nov 2022
5 most-recently changed Virus entries