The effect of different doses of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance during pregnancy.
Gynecol Endocrinol. 2013 Apr;29(4):396-9. doi: 10.3109/09513590.2012.752456.
Soheilykhah S, Mojibian M, Moghadam MJ, Shojaoddiny-Ardekani A.
Department of Endocrinology, Yazd Diabetes Research Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran. s_soheilykhah at yahoo.com
Low serum vitamin D levels are correlated with insulin resistance during pregnancy. We have assessed the effects of different doses of vitamin D on insulin resistance during pregnancy. A randomized clinical trial was done on 120 women with a gestational age of less than 12 weeks. The women were divided into three groups randomly.
- Group A received 200 IU vitamin D daily,
- group B 50,000 IU vitamin D monthly and
- group C 50,000 IU vitamin D every 2 weeks
from 12 weeks of pregnancy until delivery.
The serum levels of fasting blood sugar (FBS), insulin, calcium and 25-hydroxyvitamin D were measured before and after intervention. We used the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) as a surrogate measure of insulin resistance. The mean ± standard deviation of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D increased in
- group C from 7.3 ± 5.9 to 34.1 ± 11.5 ng/ml and in
- group B it increased from 7.3 ± 5.3 to 27.23 ± 10.7 ng/ml,
but the level of vitamin D in group A increased from 8.3 ± 7.8 to 17.7 ± 9.3 ng/ml (p < 0.001). The mean differences of insulin and HOMA-IR before and after intervention in groups A and C were significant (p = 0.01, p = 0.02). This study has shown that supplementation of pregnant women with 50 000 IU vitamin D every 2 weeks improved insulin resistance significantly.
See also VitaminDWiki
- Gestational diabetes 2.2X more likely below 10 ng of vitamin D – June 2012
- Will 1600 IU vitamin D prevent gestational diabetes – no, not enough, July 2013
- 300,000 IU injection loading dose of vitamin D3 stopped gestational diabetes in RCT – Oct 2011
- 2X more preeclampsia when vitamin D less than 30 ng, etc. - meta-analysis March 2013