Am J Cardiol. 2011 Mar 23.
Lee JH, Gadi R, Spertus JA, Tang F, O'Keefe JH.
Mid America Heart and Vascular Institute and University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri.
Deficiency in 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) is a treatable condition that has been associated with coronary artery disease and many of its risk factors. A practical time to assess for 25(OH)D deficiency, and to initiate treatment, is at the time of an acute myocardial infarction. The prevalence of 25(OH)D deficiency and the characteristics associated with it in patients with acute myocardial infarction are unknown. In this study, 25(OH)D was assessed in 239 subjects enrolled in a 20-hospital prospective myocardial infarction registry. Patients enrolled from June 1 to December 31, 2008, had serum samples sent to a centralized laboratory for analysis using the DiaSorin 25(OH)D assay. Normal 25(OH)D levels are ?30 ng/ml, and patients with levels <30 and >20 ng/ml were classified as insufficient and those with levels ?20 ng/ml as deficient. Vitamin D levels and other baseline characteristics were analyzed with the linear or Mantel-Haenszel trend test.
Of the 239 enrolled patients, 179 (75%) were 25(OH)D deficient and 50 (21%) were insufficient, for a total of 96% of patients with abnormally low 25(OH)D levels.
No significant heterogeneity was observed among age or gender subgroups, but 25(OH)D deficiency was more commonly seen in non-Caucasian patients and those with lower social support, no insurance, diabetes, and lower activity levels.
Higher parathyroid hormone levels (45.3 vs 32.7 pg/ml, p = 0.029) and body mass indexes (31.2 vs 29.0 kg/m(2), p = 0.025) were also observed in 25(OH)D-deficient subjects.
In conclusion, vitamin D deficiency is present in almost all patients with acute myocardial infarction in a multicenter United States cohort.
Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. PMID: 21439530
- - - - - -
- Overview Cardiovascular and vitamin D
- All items in Cardiovascular and vitamin D 175 items as of April 2012
- Increasing vitamin D levels will probably reduce CVD and mortality – June 2011
- Heart patients 10 percent more likely to die for every 4 ng less vitamin D – May 2011
- Lack of vitamin D associated with many cadiovascular problems – May 2011
- Heart Failure associated with vitamin D deficiency – Feb 2011
- Heart attack does NOT decrease vitamin D levels – April 2012 average was 18 nanogram
that is: vitamin D levels were already low, and the MI did not cause the vitamin D levels to go lower