Will vitamin D supplementation ameliorate diseases characterized by chronic inflammation and fatigue?
Med Hypotheses. 2010 Oct 25.
Hoeck AD, Pall ML.
Mariawald str. 750935, Cologne, Germany.
Chronic NF-?B activation has been supposed as a key event in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and many other better-defined pro-inflammatory diseases. Knowledge about the impact of deficiency vitamin D on chronic NF-?B activation could open a new disease approach. Whereas NF-?B activation leads at first to a pro-inflammatory immune response, later on a vitamin D-dependent anti-inflammatory response ensues. Binding of the active vitamin D metabolite 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) to vitamin D receptor (VDR) yields a transcription factor which represses NF-?B activation, and additionally modulates and down-regulates adaptive, but enhances innate immune responses, and improves redox balance, thus counterbalancing inflammation on multiple levels. However, this built-in late counterbalance against inflammation works only when stores of calcium and 25(OH)D(3) are abundant. Therefore a connection between lowered vitamin D-metabolism and persistent NF-?B activation, augmented nitrosative-oxidative stress, redox imbalance, chronic inflammation, and concomitant fatigue can be postulated.
In order to confirm this hypothesis, randomized controlled clinical studies about the clinical effects of supplementation of calcium and vitamin D(3) would be necessary in diseases characterized by persistent NF-?B activation and chronic inflammation and fatigue. Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved. PMID: 20980105
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Petrie dish experiment shows that active vitamin D reduces arterial inflammation – Aug 2012
- Inflammation or surgery or heart attack decreases measured vitamin D levels – Mar 2011
- Vitamin D3 half-life about 10 days with pancreatitis inflammation – 2011
- Overview Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and vitamin D
- Muscle inflammation 17X more probable if vitamin D deficient – Feb 2013
- All items in category Inflammation and Vitamin D
140 itemsHypothesis – vitamin D will decrease chronic inflammation and fatigue – Oct 2010 3264 visitors, last modified 13 Jul, 2013,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)