Does Vitamin D3 Have an Impact on Clinical and Biochemical Parameters Related to Third Molar Surgery.
J Craniofac Surg. 2016 Mar;27(2):469-76. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000002389.
Oteri G1, Cicciù M, Peditto M, Catalano A, Loddo S, Pisano M, Lasco A.
1*Department of Experimental Medical-Surgical Sciences and Dentistry †Department of Odontostomatology, School of Dentistry ‡Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Messina, Messina, Italy.
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical effect on the biochemical inflammatory markers of a single oral high dose of cholecalciferol in vitamin D-deficient patients undergoing the surgical removal of lower third molars. A randomized, split-mouth, single-blind study was conducted on 25 vitamin D-deficient patients ranging between 18 and 40 years of age requiring lower third molars extraction and referred at the Oral Surgery Unit of the School of Dentistry of the University of Messina. All patients, with vitamin D3 blood levels ?30?ng/mL, underwent bilateral surgical removal. The first extraction (control group) being conducted with the administration of a placebo, the second one (test group) being conducted with the preliminary administration of 300,000 IU of cholecalciferol 4 days before the procedure. At each surgery, clinical indexes, such as pain, edema and any functional limitation have been recorded. Clinical and biochemical parameters were registered 4 days before, immediately after, 3 and 7 days after the surgical procedure. The data obtained were processed using paired t-test. The clinical outcome parameters showed a slight to moderate improvement between the control and the vitamin-D treatment group, with statistical significance being obtained regarding the edema at defined time points. Interleukin-1-beta, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha values were significantly lower (P?<?0.01) for the test group after the surgery. The increase of vitamin D serum levels showed an impact on the outcome of the third molar surgery, eliciting a reduced inflammatory response and leading to a more favorable clinical course.
Download the PDF from Sci-Hub via VitaminDWiki
Personal note by Henry Lahore, July 2016.
At age 70 I am getting 2 wisdom teeth extracted.
Looked up studies on wisdom tooth extraction and Vitamin D and found the one above
As I already have a high level of vitamin D (~100 nanogram) I will not need a loading dose
However, I will try dabbing water-soluable form of vitamin D on the wounds daily (cotton balls)
Vitamin D reduces pain and helps heal skin. Topical form seems best in my case
Update Zero problems with pain, inflamation. My dentist was very surprised.
I had used topical Vitamin D (nanoemulsion), oral Omega-3, oral Vitamin K, and LLLT
- 18 fewer hospital days if given 500,000 IU of vitamin D while ventilated in ICU – RCT June 2016
- Surgical outcomes are better for higher levels of Vitamin D – systematic review May 2015
- Venous ulcers healed 4X faster with weekly 50,000 IU vitamin D – RCT Oct 2012
- Vitamin D and the skin: Focus on a complex relationship - Nov 2015
- 400,000 IU of vitamin D reduced adult pain and improved quality of life – March 2014
- All items in VitaminDWiki category Dental
- Topical Vitamin D
- Inflammation reduced by a single dose of Vitamin D (200,000 IU) – RCT Jan 2016
- Inflammation is reduced by each of the following: Vitamin D, Omega-3, Diet
- Importance of Vitamin K – Pizzorno – July 2018
- Effectiveness of Single Session of Low-Level Laser Therapy with a 940 nm Wavelength Diode Laser on Pain, Swelling, and Trismus After Impacted Third Molar Surgery July 2016
- Thermographic and clinical evaluation of 808-nm laser photobiomodulation effects after third molar extraction Aug 2016
- Is Low-Level Laser Therapy Effective in the Management of Pain and Swelling After Mandibular Third Molar Surgery? July 2016
Since I had built a 902 nm LLLT for another purpose 8 years ago I will give it a try
Wisdom tooth (3rd molar) extraction helped by Vitamin D loading dose – RCT March 2016
- I needed more than Vitamin D to treat my knee osteoarthritis LLLT helped my knee osteoarthritis)
7826 visitors, last modified 02 Mar, 2021,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)