Food Chemistry Volume 372, 15 March 2022,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.131325 $40 paywall
Suene V.S.SouzaaNunoBorgesabElsa F.Vieirac
- Vitamin D3-fortified bread is considered more effective than vitamin D2 approach.
- Most clinical studies have used vitamin D3-fortified bread.
- Daily intake of vitamin d-fortified bread increase serum concentrations of 25(OH)D.
- Overall, vitamin d-fortified bread has a positive effect on the bone health.
- The effectiveness of vitamin d-fortified bread should be better elucidated.
Vitamin d-fortified bread has been proposed as a strategy to increase the average daily intake and serum status of this nutrient. This review aimed to bring together the different types of scientific articles on vitamin d-fortified bread. The databases used for the research were PUBMED, WEB of SCIENCE and SCOPUS; all original indexed studies written in English, published between January 2000 and March 2021, were considered.
Three important points were identified:
- i) theoretical models of fortification;
- ii) stability, bioaccessibility, and bioavailability studies of vitamin d-fortified breads; and
- iii) clinical effects of vitamin d-fortified breads.
This review showed that vitamin d-fortified bread is a promising vehicle for fortification strategy effects, leading to increased serum concentrations of 25(OH)D and decreased parathyroid hormone. However, further studies are needed to elucidate the effects and effectiveness of this fortification strategy in the prevention/treatment of vitamin D deficiency.
This list is automatically updated
VitaminDWiki - Fortification with Vitamin D
Fortification works, even if food is cooked, but govts rarely fortifiy with enough
Govts, food producers, and families can fortify:
milk, yogurt, beer, bread, cereals, cooking oil, soups, jams, jellys, honey, snack bars, etc.
Some interesting fortification articles
- After years of adding vitamin D, Finland now has 35 ng levels - March 2022
- Fortification with Vitamin D works – 16 studies of Danish experience – July 2021
- Vitamin D fortification of beverages – Review March 2022
- Vitamin D-fortified bread: Systematic review – March 2022
- International Conference of Vitamin D Fortification of Food (India) – Sept 2018
- 2400 IU of vitamin D needed to get most Northern adults above 20 ng – June 2020
- Most Fortification studies do not give enough to make a difference
- Vitamin D home fortification- don't wait 100 years for your govt
|808 visitors, last modified 06 Apr, 2022,